Favorite Orioles Role Players

Scrat1

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Happy birthday, Benny Ayala. :)

In September of 1984, Ayala actually hit a check-swing home run to the opposite field against the Yankees.

Here are the details:

I've mentioned this before, but I saw Benny Ayala hit a check-swing home run against the Yankees in September of 1984.

I was watching the game on WPIX-11, and Ayala checked his swing, and the ball somehow found its way just a tad over the wall down the right-field line in Memorial Stadium.

The 3-run check-swing home run won the game for us, as we were trailing by a score of 6-4 in the 8th inning when Ayala hit it.

THE GAME:O http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198409242.shtml

o

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/129218-Strange-But-True-Baseball-Feats-of-the-2012-MLB-Season

o

I don't know if he qualifies as a "role player," but reliever Alan Mills. He had several decent seasons with the Os. I used to sit by the bullpen back in the days when I had my 13 game plan. I was able to make friends with Alan. He was a very friendly guy. We used to chat about baseball and other things.

One who doesn't truly qualify as a "role player" was Jamie Moyer. He became a decent pitcher with the Os, and he was another very friendly guy. Baseball "politics" got him banished to the bullpen because he pitched too slow, even though he had nasty stuff that could get batters out. Eventually, he ended up with the Red Sox through free agency. In one of the most (as it turned out) lop-sided trades ever made, Don Duquette (then with Boston) traded Jamie to the Mariners for minor leaguer Darren Bragg. I don't know what happened with Darren Bragg, but it took Moyer about 2-3 years to become an All Star 20-plus-game winner with the Mariners. When Randy Johnson left the Mariners, Moyer became the ace, the no ! starter with the Mariners. Later on, he was a star with his childhood team, the Phillies.

Curt Blefary.

I'd say that Blefary made too much of a difference to be considered a mere role player. He was the starting left fielder several years running and I remember him being on a yearbook cover with Boog, Brooks, and Frank as one of the Orioles' slugging foursome. And later we even got Mike Cuellar for him!

Archived