Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, Gausman has spent far more than 20 days off the major league roster in 2014, so the "20 day rule" will have no impact on him. He came into 2014 with 71 days of service time. Since then, he has accumulated:

1 day on May 14 (sent down the next day)

15 days on June 7-21

1 day on June 27 (called up as the 26th man for a doubleheader and then sent back down)

1 day on July 6 (sent down the next day)

Then, he was recalled on July 13 when Jimenez got hurt, and the clock is ticking again. There are 78 days between July 13 and the final day of the season (inclusive of the first and last day). So, if Gausman is not sent down again, he'll have 71 + 1 + 15 + 1 + 1 +78 = 168 days of service. Therefore, Gausman cannot accrue a full year of service time (which requires 172 days) by the time 2014 is completed.

In some earlier comments in this thread, I mistakenly said Gausman would need to be sent down one more time for the Orioles to avoid having him accrue a full year of service. I had forgotten that he had been sent down from June 21-26 when I wrote that. Those five days make the difference between accruing a full year and not. The O's have no need to send him back to the minors for service time reasons.

Actually, 71 + 1 + 15 + 1 + 1 +78 = 167. The conclusion is the same.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He sure as hell doesn't have it today. I'd say this is a product of something they call "SCOUTING."

They are all over his fastball.

He needs a breaking ball.

If Oakland has scouted him and told their players to eliminate the breaking pitch, and sit on fastball, that's a problem, and indicative of the fact that he needs that slider to be a TOR.

If this isn't about Oakland's scouting and more about Gausman's inability to command his fastball today, that's a problem, and indicative of the fact that he needs that slider to be a TOR starter. With only two pitches, you need to be able to command both of them every outing to be dominate. And that's just unrealistic.

He needs a breaking ball.

If Oakland has scouted him and told their players to eliminate the breaking pitch' date=' and sit on fastball, that's a problem, and indicative of the fact that he needs that slider to be a TOR.

If this isn't about Oakland's scouting and more about Gausman's inability to command his fastball today, that's a problem, and indicative of the fact that he needs that slider to be a TOR starter. With only two pitches, you need to be able to command both of them every outing to be dominate. And that's just unrealistic.[/quote']

You don't need to "dominate" every start. That is what the defense and offense is for.

Who said he was a #1 starter. Right now he is just trying to be in the top 5.

I think there are a few threads with people proclaiming/asking "Could Gausman be the TOR we are looking for?" and things of that nature. If Gausman isn't going to have great stuff, and just be another one of the guys that pitch to the defense and relies on our offense to put 5 or 6 up, why even keep him in the rotation? I think we have about 5 or 6(if Burnett is on his way) of those already.

If Gausman with two pitches isn't one of the standouts of the rotation, but instead is just like the rest of them, "trying to be in the top 5," then why not have him down on the farm working on the hole in his game?

Archived