Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Dude 150 innings is a sample size regardless to who you want to argue with. It's more likely he's the pitcher he was before this year than the pitcher he's been for half a season

If Dallas Keuchel was an Oriole, and was putting up a 3.00 ERA after several years of a 5.00 webbrick would be hammering anyone who said he was an asset going forward. There'd be references to Brad Bergesen, and Zach Britton losing it for years after his debut, that even never-weres like Bruce Chen and Sidney Ponson can luck into 120 good innings, and how the O's always manage to screw up every pitcher.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> appears ready to stick with Caleb Joseph-Nick Hundley catching combo for duration.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">July 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adding pitching depth remains the main focus for Duquette and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> at the deadline.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> appears ready to stick with Caleb Joseph-Nick Hundley catching combo for duration.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adding pitching depth remains the main focus for Duquette and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> at the deadline.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

I agree with what Duquette is wanting to do here. We have to protect our future and not mortgage it away at this time.

I'm curious what makes Keuchel different from a guy like Garrett Richards. Richards was nothing to clamor about until this year and now people drool over him. Should we just expect Richards and Keuchel and all young pitchers that appear to have a light come on to resort to their ways of old? Is it a requirement for young pitchers to be great right out of the box in order to consider them future TOR pitchers? If so...what does that say about Gausman? If he has a breakout year next year, will we all be expecting him to go back to being mediocre or will opinions change due to homerism.

Lot's of questions.

After watching Tillman last night, anyone feeling confident about our changes if we make the playoffs?? The silence is deafening. Bottom line: get Lester and let's give this team a fighting chance:thumbsup1:

How could you not feel good about last night? Tillman wasn't on but didn't let it get out of hand early. We played crappy defense for once in a blue moon. We also knocked Weaver around, had good pitching from the BP, and gutted out a win on a dinger from a suddenly very hot Manny.

We didn't play well and still beat the team with one of the best records in the AL for our 3rd time in 4 games.

Here is how they explained it on 105.7 last night.

It could be more than just a two month rental.

You put a package together for Lester, you get two months rental. You know he wants to resign with Boston.

So the end of the season, you make him an qualifying offer, and when he signs back with Boston, you get a comp draft pick, and based on their last place this season in return.

Here is how they explained it on 105.7 last night.

It could be more than just a two month rental.

You put a package together for Lester, you get two months rental. You know he wants to resign with Boston.

So the end of the season, you make him an qualifying offer, and when he signs back with Boston, you get a comp draft pick, and based on their last place this season in return.

They should know on 105.7 that you can no longer make a QO for a player you acquire by trade during the season.

This is only Keuchel's third year in the bigs. And his era appears to be right at his FIP. I don't see why his current success isn't sustainable.

Because he is highly reliant on a sinker that has been unreliable in the past.

I have no idea why the Orioles are interested in Keuchel or Cosart over what they already have. No idea.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors right now. The way the trade deadline is going at this point we may not see a ton of deals the teams with the available players know there is not a ton of teams out of it and they are asking for crazy amounts of prospects and top prospects but in the end of the day those demands tend to come down. Last year the Astros wanted Bundy or Gausman for Norris then the last hours called and took Hader. The Rockies wanting a top prospect for De la rosa is insane. Lester a great pitcher but for a rental and then aksing for the Dodgers top 2 or 3 prospects.

This is only Keuchel's third year in the bigs. And his era appears to be right at his FIP. I don't see why his current success isn't sustainable.

Why is this year's 128 innings considerably more representative of his talent than the several hundred innings of a 5.00-ish ERA/FIP from the prior two?

Because he is highly reliant on a sinker that has been unreliable in the past.

I have no idea why the Orioles are interested in Keuchel or Cosart over what they already have. No idea.

I hope it's just some sort of posturing, though I have no idea why they would even do that. I take Gonzo, Chen, Norris, Tillman, Gausman over Keuchel and Cosart, especially considering we ALREADY HAVE THEM.

Go get a second baseman or catcher, or just stand pat. The rotation is fine.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dallas-keuchel-who-can-no-longer-be-ignored/

This was an article on Fangraphs from late May about Keuchel's sudden ascent. Count me as someone who believes his improvements are for real. He has apparently pinpoint command of his sinker, and that is something that plays well with our defense obviously.

As for his down stretch in June-July, that was attributed to a golf-ball sized fluid growth on his wrist.

If we don't have to get rid of Harvey, Gausman or Bundy, I'm all for it. Ed-Rod is expendable for Keuchel through 2018.

Archived