Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Is that offical yet? What are the details around it>?

Connolly called two other GM's and one said "Not going to happen" and the other "Baltimore is not in it." when speaking about Lester going to the O's. Bonifacio news Connolly says O's definitely not in it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Connolly called two other GM's and one said "Not going to happen" and the other "Baltimore is not in it." when speaking about Lester going to the O's. Bonifacio news Connolly says O's definitely not in it.

Sorry I meant about Cotts.

Sorry I meant about Cotts.

Nothing official.....no. O's have been asking about him. Texas has had a scout to Bowie to watch Tim Berry pitch. Just pieces of the puzzle being floated out there. O's looking for LH pitcher that can get both LH and RH hitters out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Via <a href="https://twitter.com/MartinoNYDN">@MartinoNYDN</a> Os-Red Sox talks this afternoon have fizzled. Os, who lost Hunter Harvey for the season today, won't meet asking price.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Via <a href="https://twitter.com/MartinoNYDN">@MartinoNYDN</a> Os-Red Sox talks this afternoon have fizzled. Os, who lost Hunter Harvey for the season today, won't meet asking price.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank goodness. I was just about to post one of the headline article from the Boston glove which said "Red Sox, Orioles in 'advanced discussions' on Jon Lester trade" I am surprised there isn't a billion page thread on the subject. Perhaps Harvey was one of the prospects. In any case I am glad. I cringe at what I assume we were offering.

Thank goodness. I was just about to post one of the headline article from the Boston glove which said "Red Sox, Orioles in 'advanced discussions' on Jon Lester trade" I am surprised there isn't a billion page thread on the subject. Perhaps Harvey was one of the prospects. In any case I am glad. I cringe at what I assume we were offering.

So a few months of Lester and the asking price is Gausman or Bundy....talk about overvaluing your players.

So a few months of Lester and the asking price is Gausman or Bundy....talk about overvaluing your players.

I assume the asking price is more than that. Rumor is the Sox want one established mlb player plus two prospects. Of corse the Sox want to deal within the division. The Orioles won't resign Lester and next year Boston could have two of our best prospects plus one of our current rotation guys.

I assume the asking price is more than that. Rumor is the Sox want one established mlb player plus two prospects. Of corse the Sox want to deal within the division. The Orioles won't resign Lester and next year Boston could have two of our best prospects plus one of our current rotation guys.

This is how the game is played. The Sox are going to push for top propsects, everyone is going to tell them no. Eventually the Sox will settle for a reaonable package.

If the O's pull the trigger, I'd expect something like Gonzalez, ERod & Yaz. That may not get it done, but it would be a very reasonable haul for 2 months of Lester.

The Red Sox are just asking for too much here given Lester's contract. It's a 2 month rental.

Think of it as the "buy" price on EBay. If you want to end the bidding now you pay a premium on the current bid price. Otherwise, Boston will continue to work bidders up until the deadline. The sweet spot for Boston is the point in time where one team convinces itself it needs Lester and decides the premium is worth it to ensure they land their guy. The risk is that teams pull offers off the table, but so long as you are negotiating in good faith that generally doesn't happen. Anyone giving a legit take it or leave it offer isn't likely invested enough to actually win out the bidding, so generally no risk in calling the bluff and letting them walk.

All of this assumes you have correctly deduced that there is some sort of market for your asset, of course.

Think of it as the "buy" price on EBay. If you want to end the bidding now you pay a premium on the current bid price. Otherwise, Boston will continue to work bidders up until the deadline. The sweet spot for Boston is the point in time where one team convinces itself it needs Lester and decides the premium is worth it to ensure they land their guy. The risk is that teams pull offers off the table, but so long as you are negotiating in good faith that generally doesn't happen. Anyone giving a legit take it or leave it offer isn't likely invested enough to actually win out the bidding, so generally no risk in calling the bluff and letting them walk.

All of this assumes you have correctly deduced that there is some sort of market for your asset, of course.

Unless a team sells low, it's almost always better to wait as long as possible to make a deal. The closer to the deadline you get the price goes down.

Archived