Ah hell, let's re-sign him

tinamodotti

Per fan graphs, Nick has been worth $13 mm this year, with about 1/4 of the season remaining. However, they also say he was worth zero last year, and $7.0 -9.4 mm in each of the other four years of his contract. Personally, I think that undervalues his 2009-12 contributions, but I'm just offering the data.

I think Nick can get 3-4 years and north of $10 mm/yr on the open market I think he'll give the Orioles a discount off his FA value, but I wouldn't expect him to cut it by more than 15% or so.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, Nick should be re-signed. Period. And I think he will be. Serious consideration and an honest attempt should be made to re-sign Hardy. I also think that Hardy will be re-signed. With Pearce around, and the emergence of Christian Walker, I think the Orioles are setting up to part with Davis after next season. They may even be considering trading him in the offseason. Unlike most on this board, I think the Orioles will go all in on signing Wieters.

Nick is just one of those guys who never loses focus in a big moment. One of the many reasons I don't want to let him go.

I agree. Even though I am guilty of often deriding him for his boring and emotionless personality, perhaps that is a quality that serves him well under pressure as indeed he does never seem to lose focus in a big moment. I would love to see him get a chance to perform in a world series or even the playoffs. He reminds me of the type of player who would rise to the ocasion.

That was such a great catch! But if we're playing GM, we gotta ask - Is he going to physically be able to make that catch in 2 or 3 years? We've seen his foot speed decrease and his range follow suit. But a catch like that is spectacular no matter what your range is.

Thing is - if we don't keep him, we have to acquire someone who can do most of what he does - particularly get on base. This is a team that isn't good at that - and at getting runners in scoring position. Usually, you have to pay big bucks to get that, so who are the alternatives?

That was such a great catch! But if we're playing GM, we gotta ask - Is he going to physically be able to make that catch in 2 or 3 years? We've seen his foot speed decrease and his range follow suit. But a catch like that is spectacular no matter what your range is.

Thing is - if we don't keep him, we have to acquire someone who can do most of what he does - particularly get on base. This is a team that isn't good at that - and at getting runners in scoring position. Usually, you have to pay big bucks to get that, so who are the alternatives?

Choo was the best at that. And he is awful. That is a very expensive tool and it is really not up to you anyway. A Nolan Reimold. Healthy. Other than that? There really is not one that you won't end up hating.

We already owe Nick 17.5 if we want him for one. So. He wants to play two more years for 11.25 a piece? Maybe. I would not think so.

This isn't exactly right. The Orioles have the option to pay him $17.5 for next year. They don't owe him $17.5. He will be owed that only if the option is exercised. If the team doesn't exercise the option, they will owe him only the $2 million buy-out provided in the contract. Any consideration of a 2- or 3-year contract will be unrelated to the amount of the Orioles' option. Nick can't count on that money as being in the bank. In fact, I think that the odds are probably against the Orioles picking up that option. Don't you?

This isn't exactly right. The Orioles have the option to pay him $17.5 for next year. They don't owe him $17.5. He will be owed that only if the option is exercised. If the team doesn't exercise the option, they will owe him only the $2 million buy-out provided in the contract. Any consideration of a 2- or 3-year contract will be unrelated to the amount of the Orioles' option. Nick can't count on that money as being in the bank. In fact, I think that the odds are probably against the Orioles picking up that option. Don't you?

If we don't exercise his option, he is on the free market. And that is that.

I'd assume that if we intended to keep him we would start with the 17.5 and add to it what he would feel is fair. If it were my team, I'd decline the option and saddle him with a QO. But that is me.

If you are extending him then you could treat picking up the option as a signing bonus.

If we don't exercise his option, he is on the free market. And that is that.

Well, the Orioles could offer him a qualifying offer. He then could accept it or reject it, and run the risk of not being offered as much by any team in free agency. The Orioles would have an advantage, IMO, if Nick declined the QO and became a free agent, since they would not lose a draft pick if they signed him.

Choo was the best at that. And he is awful. That is a very expensive tool and it is really not up to you anyway. A Nolan Reimold. Healthy. Other than that? There really is not one that you won't end up hating.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Red Sox did a good job of surveying the outfield market for next year (MLB radio guys floated this theory). It's pretty thin, so they decided to trade for two pieces this year (without much of a loss since I assume they're getting Lester back). You could argue that Nick and Nelson are two of the top very few that are available next year.

Archived