Ah hell, let's re-sign him

tinamodotti

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Swisher appears to be a reasonable comp to Nick imo. He got 4/56. Unfortunately, how that deal is turning out is what scares me about Nick.

Another option might be QO'ing Nick and gambling on him not taking it an increasing our leverage in extension talks. Still, I think I'd just rather pick up the 2015 option.

I honestly have no idea what motivates Markakis. I'm just saying that he seems to have good years going into contract years and that it might be a good idea to overpay him for one year than have him be an potential anchor like Roberts was in a 4-yr deal. Markakis' ability to get on play and play solid average defense gives him value, but he does have a skill set that suggests he'll slide as he goes past his prime (read: his next contract).

I don't want to pay Markakis $17 million next season, and if I could get him to sign a decent 3yr contract I might consider it, but I've just seen too many guys like him become a contractual anchor to teams because of sentimentality.

I doubt the contract has anything to do with it. He is having a better season because he was coming off of three surgeries last year. I

don't think he was ever close to a hundred percent. This year he is closer to it. I think he will sign with the Orioles for about three years at ten million.

I honestly have no idea what motivates Markakis. I'm just saying that he seems to have good years going into contract years and that it might be a good idea to overpay him for one year than have him be an potential anchor like Roberts was in a 4-yr deal.

Hell of a sample size you have there, given that this is his first contract year.

Archived