Why did Buck give that game away?

MrOrange82

It just feels so scripted. Oh well. I am not going to dwell too much on it. Just going to get sick of the constant media coverage of it. Betcha Jeter doesn't play a game in Boston because he wants this as his ending.

But what about his gift? You can't mail a bucket of chowder.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah, no way. Nobody is going to walk Jeter in that situation.

So you're saying Buck actively went with a poor strategy simply because of the name on the opposing batter's jersey? I honestly don't want to think that poorly of him, but that'd be a fireable offense if true. Tantamount to actually throwing the game.

(no, I'm not seriously suggesting that Buck should be fired, but you play to WIN. If he wasn't, or even if he just "gave Jeter a shot" because of who Jeter is, that is absolutely, unequivocally shameful. It's not even Jeter's last freakin' game)

Not a big deal. Buck probably didn't want to pitch any of our big guns tonight. The chances of winning the top seed even with a win tonight was tiny. Buck didn't lose this game, the defense did. If the defense straightens it out this team will go far in the playoffs and that's what matters. Good for Jeter. Good for Yankees fans. I'm sure that every single Yankee fan in the world along with Jeter would rather be in the situation the Orioles are in right now (division champs) than have his last home game be meaningless. Jeter can have this game. The Orioles took this season from him and Yankees fans though and we can be happy about that.

Comical to rip Buck. His job is to manage to game for a team that will open at home in a playoff series next week. He should use someone instead of Meek exactly why? So because this is Jeter's last home game he should manage like it is a must win, when it isn't. Aside from the obvious walking him there brings a better hitting lefty to the plate.

Not a big deal. Buck probably didn't want to pitch any of our big guns tonight. The chances of winning the top seed even with a win tonight was tiny. Buck didn't lose this game, the defense did. If the defense straightens it out this team will go far in the playoffs and that's what matters. Good for Jeter. Good for Yankees fans. I'm sure that every single Yankee fan in the world along with Jeter would rather be in the situation the Orioles are in right now (division champs) than have his last home game be meaningless. Jeter can have this game. The Orioles took this season from him and Yankees fans though and we can be happy about that.

Yep. Jeter may have won this battle but we won the war (this season). I wish we would have won and rained on their parade further but hey let them have their fairy tale ending. They're done for this year. Our future is TBD.

So you're saying Buck actively went with a poor strategy simply because of the name on the opposing batter's jersey? I honestly don't want to think that poorly of him, but that'd be a fireable offense if true. Tantamount to actually throwing the game.

(no, I'm not seriously suggesting that Buck should be fired, but you play to WIN. If he wasn't, or even if he just "gave Jeter a shot" because of who Jeter is, that is absolutely, unequivocally shameful. It's not even Jeter's last freakin' game)

Jeter has sucked all year. You think he is more dangerous than McCann?

Comical to rip Buck. His job is to manage to game for a team that will open at home in a playoff series next week. He should use someone instead of Meek exactly why? So because this is Jeter's last home game he should manage like it is a must win, when it isn't. Aside from the obvious walking him there brings a better hitting lefty to the plate.

Why? Because if you have the chance to get the #1 seed, you play to win to get the #1 seed. No other reason needed.

Using Meek there is stupid, and sabotages our chance at the best record in the league. Doesn't matter how slim that chance was.

Eh, the Os have gained two games in the last 10, and would have been closer had they not derped the home finale series versus the Sux. Seattle is trying to stay in the mix, has had good pitching all season, and is 9-7 in the season series going into this weekend. Had the Os won tonight, a sweep of Toronto and a mere series win by Seattle would have given them the 1-seed.

The two games we gained on the Angels in the last 10 must have happened at the beginning of that 10, because we gained zero on them in the last week. A sweep of Toronto was unlikely....that team has been swinging it recently and probably plan on plunking a few of our guys anyway....best we don't send important players up to the plate anyway.

This was the least important game of the season because the Yankees are officially done and they can't do anything else to us this year. They are over and so is Jeter.

No one's ripping him for the season; he's getting ripped the bottom of the ninth. Tomorrow is another day, yes. It's not like tonight's game was totally irrelevant, though.

Archived