Why did Buck give that game away?

MrOrange82

Buck knew what he was doing. I am beyond pissed to be honest.

If he brings us a World Series I might be able to look beyond what happened tonight. It is about the only thing that will offset a lifetime of Jeter idolization at the expense of the Orioles.

The lifetime Jeter idolization would have happened whether the Orioles won or not.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The two games we gained on the Angels in the last 10 must have happened at the beginning of that 10, because we gained zero on them in the last week. A sweep of Toronto was unlikely....that team has been swinging it recently and probably plan on plunking a few of our guys anyway....best we don't send important players up to the plate anyway.

This was the least important game of the season because the Yankees are officially done and they can't do anything else to us this year. They are over and so is Jeter.

In the grand scheme, it may not be the most important game, but I've never liked the total dismissal of any game. A lineup and starting pitcher were put out to win this game. The bottom of the ninth inning was an unfortunate blemish counteracting on the efforts made in the top half of the inning, and a big one. It's bewildering given the first 8-1/2 innings. The finality for the Yankees' season and basically for Jeter's career - obvious. I didn't want it to end with victory for them, however.

Tomorrow (or sooner) my immediate focus will be on Toronto, but for now there are quite a few folks hot under the collar for a little while, and that's fine.

Buck knew what he was doing. I am beyond pissed to be honest.

If he brings us a World Series I might be able to look beyond what happened tonight. It is about the only thing that will offset a lifetime of Jeter idolization at the expense of the Orioles.

I agree because if Jeter doesn't get a walk off nobody would realize how good he is.

Why? In a tie game you bring him back with a playoff spot locked up? You don't manage this game like it is a must win to ruin Jeter's last game. You dont think Buck has scripted how he is going to use his pen the rest of the year?

It's not about JETER!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about winning the friggin baseball game!

When should you use your Evan Meeks and Joe Saunders because those guys seem like pretty terrible baseball pitchers to me.

We won the last game 9-5 and O'Day pitched 1.1 innings so somehow he found a way to not use the meatshields then.

He said he wanted to use his guys in back to back games before the playoffs. He did that yesterday. I am floored at this reaction. Buck isn't going to let emotion enter his mind, thank God he is managing the team.

It's not OK to lose a game, or play less hard, or implement obviously poor strategies, because someone on the other team is retiring. It's offensive to the O's other players, to the fans who clamored over one another to buy playoff tickets this week, and to the integrity of the game itself. No one's bigger than the game. No one should be bigger than the game. IDGAF who Jeter is or what he's done. Today, for probably the first time ever, I was embarrassed to have a manager who didn't have the stones to do the right thing.

i.e., play to win.

Miller.

No because we need him rested for 2015 when we'll never see him again ever.

I agree because if Jeter doesn't get a walk off nobody would realize how good he is.

Alright eddie83 who is morally and intellectually superior to us enjoy watching this highlight every day on ESPN for the next thousand years.

I'd have gone Miller but it's not that big of a deal honestly.

No yeah it's great thank god we rested Miller tonight

Plus this is a great highlight

I love Derek Jeter

Do you guys remember that time he couldn't hit a ball entirely the way to shortstop and JJ Hardy and Kelly Johnson blew the entire ******* play because he was too weak and old and oldweak to hit a groundball like a grown man

That was epic what a legend ;_;7

I will remember that ALWAYS I LOVE YOU DEREK

Why even care about baseball if you are this clinical. This was a must-win game. For reasons that have nothing to do with the playoffs.

He said he wanted to use his guys in back to back games before the playoffs. He did that yesterday. I am floored at this reaction. Buck isn't going to let emotion enter his mind, thank God he is managing the team.

Agreed. Kinda surprised by the hysterical reaction here. Not that important of a game and no reason to burn good relievers on it. i guess it's the Jeter thing.

Why? In a tie game you bring him back with a playoff spot locked up? You don't manage this game like it is a must win to ruin Jeter's last game. You dont think Buck has scripted how he is going to use his pen the rest of the year?

Miller didn't pitch yesterday, he was ready. One extra day of rest isn't going to make a difference, we still had a shot at the number one seed. Putting Miller in to get out of a jam in the bottom of the 9th isn't managing like it's a must win, it's just smart. Intentionally walking Jeter to set up the double play would have been managing it like it was a must win. Buck pitched O'day two days in a row but Miller can't pitch every other day? silly.

Archived