Why did Buck give that game away?

MrOrange82

So setting up a force out is more important than the better matchup?

Setting up the double play is, yes. Really what he should have done was have Britton ready in the pen for McCann after walking Jeter.

But he wasn't REALLY playing to win this game. Very obvious by his actions in the bottom of the 9th.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a big deal. Buck probably didn't want to pitch any of our big guns tonight. The chances of winning the top seed even with a win tonight was tiny. Buck didn't lose this game, the defense did. If the defense straightens it out this team will go far in the playoffs and that's what matters. Good for Jeter. Good for Yankees fans. I'm sure that every single Yankee fan in the world along with Jeter would rather be in the situation the Orioles are in right now (division champs) than have his last home game be meaningless. Jeter can have this game. The Orioles took this season from him and Yankees fans though and we can be happy about that.

Great post.....Thank you for being a voice of reason.

So you're saying Buck actively went with a poor strategy simply because of the name on the opposing batter's jersey? I honestly don't want to think that poorly of him, but that'd be a fireable offense if true. Tantamount to actually throwing the game.

(no, I'm not seriously suggesting that Buck should be fired, but you play to WIN. If he wasn't, or even if he just "gave Jeter a shot" because of who Jeter is, that is absolutely, unequivocally shameful. It's not even Jeter's last freakin' game)

In a game that will not effect the standings, NOT A SINGLE MAJOR LEAGUE MANAGER would walk Jeter in his last home at-bat. NOT ONE. It is fantasy to think otherwise.

Why? Because if you have the chance to get the #1 seed, you play to win to get the #1 seed. No other reason needed.

Using Meek there is stupid, and sabotages our chance at the best record in the league. Doesn't matter how slim that chance was.

You don't overwork relievers in that spot. Buck used a lot of his big guns the last two games. You don't use your closer on the road in a tie game.

One more point, all the people complains about Meek should of had an issue with TJ and everyone else who pitched.

You don't overwork relievers in that spot. Buck used a lot of his big guns the last two games. You don't use your closer on the road in a tie game.

One more point, all the people complains about Meek should of had an issue with TJ and everyone else who pitched.

TJ was fine.

Vince McMahon couldn't have booked the 9th inning any better.
Too close the truth here IMO. Buck would never have put Meek in there if he felt the win was important. We had any number of better choices to close out that game. None of them have been overworked. It's hard to think of another good reason. Buck doesn't make that kind of mistake. I can see him pitching to Jeter, but not with Meek.........:scratchchinhmm:

What's this got to do with anything? In that situation, you walk the batter to set up the double play.

Everytime.

No you don't. Would you walk Schoop of Flaherty to get to Jones and Cruz? All year long people kept saying how much he sucked and now that he gets a game winner he is the Jeter of 2000.

Not a big deal. Buck probably didn't want to pitch any of our big guns tonight. The chances of winning the top seed even with a win tonight was tiny. Buck didn't lose this game, the defense did. If the defense straightens it out this team will go far in the playoffs and that's what matters. Good for Jeter. Good for Yankees fans. I'm sure that every single Yankee fan in the world along with Jeter would rather be in the situation the Orioles are in right now (division champs) than have his last home game be meaningless. Jeter can have this game. The Orioles took this season from him and Yankees fans though and we can be happy about that.

Tonight's pitching and the bullpen usage the rest of the regular season will be scripted.

Too close the truth here IMO. Buck would never have put Meek in there if he felt the win was important. We had any number of better choices to close out that game. None of them have been overworked. It's hard to think of another good reason. Buck doesn't make that kind of mistake. I can see him pitching to Jeter, but not with Meek.........:scratchchinhmm:

Who should have pitched?

When should you use your Evan Meeks and Joe Saunders because those guys seem like pretty terrible baseball pitchers to me.

We won the last game 9-5 and O'Day pitched 1.1 innings so somehow he found a way to not use the meatshields then.

Archived