Anyone have a compass ??? Need direction

WilliamGoode

The only thing that makes me laugh is that Bedard is young , and was willing to work out a long term deal , but the O's brass flinched as usual . They talk about direction , and they're moving another way , but how can your plans not include a young , proven quality starter that is easily capable of 18-20 wins ????? He was , in all probability , gonna make the Cy Young race a battle to say the least . Not crying , but "Where is the loyaly" ??? Bedard has paid his dues to this organization , and has earned his long term contract . For a player that is coveted as much as Erik is , you would think the O's would have more desire to sign him . All I see , and I am only one person , is the Orioles only saving money (Bedard / Miggy contracts) , and not putting anything back into the team . I , as other O's fans will have to do , wil be expected to pay even HIGHER ticket prices , to see Angelos put another rag - tag bunch of 'Maybe One Day ' players one the field , and call it a rebuilding stage. "Hey Petie , are you saving it for a rainy day ? Any rebuilding process , requires some major league talent with experince , to bring butts in the seats , as well as bring the youth along (And "No" , I'm not talking about Millar") . Angelos , here's your newsflash """ IT'S POURING """

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trading Bedard is the right thing to do at this point. If we're going to try and compete in the next couple years, then this was a trade that needed to be made. And out of this trade, we get a potential franchise CF as well as a good relief pitcher and some young pitchers with high ceilings. If we didn't trade Bedard, we set ourselves back another couple years.

Not to mention the fact that Bedard is not interested in signing with a rebuilding Orioles team.

This trade gives us more depth in the minor leagues which is what we have needed for years. Joe Jordan has done a great job IMO since he has come on and our farm system is getting better and better each year. That's a positive step in the right direction for the team.

So since Bedard wasn't interested in signing with a rebuilding team that leaves the Orioles with 2 options:

1. Trade Him

2. Don't trade him pay him 8+ mil a year to pitch on a losing team and then lose him in free agency and get nothing in return but a draft pick.

I don't know about you but I'd go with number 1 especially if we're rebuilding.

The only thing that makes me laugh is that Bedard is young , and was willing to work out a long term deal , but the O's brass flinched as usual . They talk about direction , and they're moving another way , but how can your plans not include a young , proven quality starter that is easily capable of 18-20 wins ????? He was , in all probability , gonna make the Cy Young race a battle to say the least . Not crying , but "Where is the loyaly" ??? Bedard has paid his dues to this organization , and has earned his long term contract . For a player that is coveted as much as Erik is , you would think the O's would have more desire to sign him . All I see , and I am only one person , is the Orioles only saving money (Bedard / Miggy contracts) , and not putting anything back into the team . I , as other O's fans will have to do , wil be expected to pay even HIGHER ticket prices , to see Angelos put another rag - tag bunch of 'Maybe One Day ' players one the field , and call it a rebuilding stage. "Hey Petie , are you saving it for a rainy day ? Any rebuilding process , requires some major league talent with experince , to bring butts in the seats , as well as bring the youth along (And "No" , I'm not talking about Millar") . Angelos , here's your newsflash """ IT'S POURING """

First of all read the rules on proper posting style.

Second of all break your points up into separate lines or paragraphs.

Now to the content of your post:

* When this trade goes through this will be the first honest, all-out rebuilding effort of the last 10 years. For every catch phrase ("Come see the kids!") that the O's management used to make us think they were rebuilding, the team was always filled with a collection of middle of the road, has-been free agents.

* Bedard has durability issues. He's never made it through a full season at the MLB level without going on the DL.

* Bedard doesn't necessarily want to be here. I think that's been pretty clear so far in the media and from his quotes. The odds of an extension going through were pretty slim.

* For once this team is actually "selling high" and trading a player when his stock is at its peak. They missed the boat on this with Tejada but are making it happen with Bedard.

I do agree with one of your points - If they're cutting payroll, there's no reason that ticket prices should go up.

Steve

Bedard wanted a six year deal , they wouldn't bite . And if memory serves me well , we wouldn't have needed to sign any extention considering we would have had him for at least 2 more years 9no new contract needed) . "Nope , no compass needed on my end .

Sell high.

I wouldn't have given Bedard a 6 year deal, either. Giving pitchers 6 year deals is a good way to run a franchise into the ground.

Bedard wanted a six year deal , they wouldn't bite . And if memory serves me well , we wouldn't have needed to sign any extention considering we would have had him for at least 2 more years 9no new contract needed) . "Nope , no compass needed on my end .

That was a rumor that his agent denied happening. When McPhail spoke to his agent in late November, he told McPhail that Bedard was going to go year to year and test free agency.

He didn't want to be part of a rebuilding team...

William....where is it confirmed that Bedard would have accepted a six year deal? All that talk was just hot air and nothing more. You hold onto Bedard for 2 more years and then what?....let him go and get a couple supplemental picks? Trading Bedard now makes the most sense.

Archived