Anyone have a compass ??? Need direction

WilliamGoode

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(Bold 1)

He did? Care to provide a link? I don't remember that being the case at all. How hard is it to understand that the man dosen't want to be here?

(Bold 2)

I think you are thinking of Jon Knott. Are you really comparing Jon Knott to Adam Jones.:rolleyes: Please stop posting, you're wasting our time.

I asked for a source on page 1 and he has to provide one.

unlike the O's , most rebuilding teams don't take 5 or 6 years for that matter .

And to finish my 'Out Of Touch ' fan view . Just because Jones hit those numbers in AAA , doesn't bode well with the going track record of our scouts . We also had a kid hit those numbers 2 years ago that we picked up last year in a similar trade . He absolutely mashed the ball at the AAA level , and couldn't hit a barn in the majors . (Name escapes memory , sorry

1. Just to look at "another team," the Marlins won a WS in 1997, then sold just about everyone who contributed to that team for young talent. They went 54-108 the next year, and it took 5 straight year under .500 before they won their 2nd WS in 2003. Rebuilding CAN take 4, 5, or 6 years, even if done "correctly."

2. I'll assume you're talking about Patterson. At age 21, both Patterson (2001) and Jones (2007) played in the PCL. Here are their stats.

Name..........AB.....R.....H....HR....RBI....K....OBP....SLG....OPS....SB

Patterson....367....63...93...7......32....65....308....387.....695....19

Jones..........420...75...120..25....84....106...382....586.....968....8

They project totally differently. The OPS alone should make you realize that they are not the same minor league players.

There is NO GUARANTEE that Adam Jones will become a star, but he was certainly a more accomplished hitter at 21 by a long shot than Corey Patterson or most other 21-year-olds!

The report that appeared yesterday regarding Erik Bedard on MLB.com is wholely inaccurate and contains nothing factual," Pieper said. "Quite honestly, that type of journalism is irresponsible and reckless."

Thanks , never read this one . I just caught the clip in the Sun about Bedard saying he would sign a six year at $100 million . Maybe Bedard spit out that number because he knows Angelos wouldn't spit out 100 million pennies , let alone dollars . lol thanks for showing me errors of my ways . You're right Mackus , it just took some time . lol

Will work on grammar , sorry to all that had to read between the lines of my typing . Sorry Tony ! But in my defense , what has Jones done at the major league level , to justify a starting centerfield job ? No matter , we'll all be talking about 'What could have beens' and 'Should have beens ' next time this year .

The point is that we stink. We stink really badly, like rancid old chicken salad.

The problem here is not Erik Bedard, it's the fact that there are gaping holes in centerfield, shortstop, first base and sorta at third base, too. This trade instantly fills our centerfield need for the next 6 years and also gives us instant bullpen help. Also, you're getting two young pitchers with very high ceilings, guys that could become starting pitchers in 2 or 3 years, when the existing talent in our farm system will just be making to the ML roster. See that synergy there? Talent we're acquiring + talent we already have + 2 or 3 years = a good young competitive team in or around 2010/2011.

The quickest way for this team to succeed in 3 years is to trade Erik Bedard and expedite the rebuilding process.

If you can't wrap your brain around that, then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

The report that appeared yesterday regarding Erik Bedard on MLB.com is wholely inaccurate and contains nothing factual," Pieper said. "Quite honestly, that type of journalism is irresponsible and reckless."

Thanks , never read this one . I just caught the clip in the Sun about Bedard saying he would sign a six year at $100 million . Maybe Bedard spit out that number because he knows Angelos wouldn't spit out 100 million pennies , let alone dollars . lol thanks for showing me errors of my ways .

He's never spit out 1 million dollars?

Will work on grammar , sorry to all that had to read between the lines of my typing . Sorry Tony ! But in my defense , what has Jones done at the major league level , to justify a starting centerfield job ? No matter , we'll all be talking about 'What could have beens' and 'Should have beens ' next time this year .

We may indeed. But I think we'll be talking about "What may be" and "What should happen" this time next year.

The only reason to trade a player of Bedard's caliber is to rebuild a losing franchise. The only reason to shell out the big bucks to keep him -- assuming he wants to be kept -- is to preserve a winner. I'm sure our views differ somewhat, but surely you don't want to maintain the status quo, right?

It seems sort of ridiculous to ask "What has this 22 year old No. 1 prospect done at the major league level to justify being given the starting centerfield job?" Maybe we should keep Bedard and sign Kenny Lofton??

What did Markakis ever do at the MLB level to deserve a RF starting job when he first came up?

You have to break in at some point. What better time for Jones to do that than now, on a rebuilding O's team?

Contrary to popular belief, players aren't born ML ready.

Now if you can fix that little habit of yours of putting a space before every punctuation mark we'd be gold.

You are right that Jones has not done anything at the major league level yet, but we do have a guy who put up a .830 OPS in five minor league seasons but more importantly a guy who put up a .968 OPS in 101 AAA games at the age of 21.

His plate discipline is not great and he's not a huge stolen base threat, but almost every scout agrees that Jones is going to end up a Tori Hunter-type of center feidler and that's pretty good.

When rebuilding, the Orioles have to get players like Jones who have big upsides and are young. We have to rebuild from the bottom up and Jones is the exact kind of player they have to take a chance on.

Just been out of the loop a bit , been catching tid bits , and not living on here as past years offseasons . But , even after beeing out of the loop for a while . It's just like a soap opera , it doesn't take long to catch up . Easy new chapter to go along with the twleve episodes missed . "Angelos raises ticket prices " , Angelos shaves payroll " , "Angelos promises change" .

Here comes the O's famous quote :

"We are looking forward to next year's anticipated new crop of freeagent talent"

Archived