CSN Baltimore: Jones Deal Great for Baltimore

weams

Doesnt the player decide which team he wants to enter the HOF for?

Nope, or Boggs would be wearing a Devil Rays hat and Gary Carter would be a Met.

Now when you have a case like Mussina, whose career was almost evenly split between two teams and the Hall doesn't have an agenda, I imagine they would ask the player's input.

Nope, or Boggs would be wearing a Devil Rays hat and Gary Carter would be a Met.

Now when you have a case like Mussina, whose career was almost evenly split between two teams and the Hall doesn't have an agenda, I imagine they would ask the player's input.

Thank you. I stand corrected!

I'm in favor of only giving statues to Hall of Famers. And though I'm a huge Mike Mussina fan, he gets no statue even if he makes the HOF some day (which he should, IMO). I didn't begrudge his decision to leave, but I can't justify erecting a statue to a player who made that choice.

I thought the criteria for a statue was to make the hall of fame? And while Jones is a really good player, I don't think he'll be in Canton down the line.

The players most similar to him statistically through his current age are in the hall. If he keeps producing like he has and he keeps winning gold gloves he has a chance.

This is so important to realize.

Yeah -- Jones' contract basically allows the Orioles the payroll flexibility to sign another guy like Jones. Two for one bargain.

I hope he's not disappointed with it now, but I doubt he is based on the timing of the extension. However, if the FA prices keep driving upwards, he could ask for something like 6 yr, $180 mil after 2018.

Yeah -- Jones' contract basically allows the Orioles the payroll flexibility to sign another guy like Jones. Two for one bargain.

I hope he's not disappointed with it now, but I doubt he is based on the timing of the extension. However, if the FA prices keep driving upwards, he could ask for something like 6 yr, $180 mil after 2018.

3X value. What contract gives you that!

Luis Aparicio had most of the qualifications discussed, ie. 5 years (1 less than Frank Robinson) with the O's, got a ring in '66 and is in the HOF (but inducted as a White Sox, made his name there before coming to the O's in '63). No Camden Yards statue.

Speaking of Robinson's 6 years with the O's, it's still an interesting perspective to dwell on the 10 years with the Reds: top 4 in NL MVP voting 3 times (winning MVP once with Cincy), was Rookie of Year and 6 All-Star teams, yet went in HOF as an Oriole. The '66 Triple Crown, MVP and World Series season spoke loudly. And also the other WS win in '70. Being called an "old 30" by Reds management certainly didn't endear him to Cincy when the HOF hat choice was batted around, I'm sure.

Archived