Hunter Harvey cleared for normal off-season.

mdbdotcom

Has he even thrown a ball yet?

Apparently not.

Harvey was completely cleared Oct. 20. He will resume normal offseason conditioning, but won’t begin a throwing program until January, which is normal for young pitchers. Harvey also is expected to participate in the Orioles’ minicamp in Sarasota, Fla., in mid-January.

Unfortunately I still see TJ surgery in his future. I don't think that injury ever heals from just rest.

Seems very pessimistic to me. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of guys who felt some tightness in their elbow, gave it some rest, and the problem resolved itself.

Unfortunately I still see TJ surgery in his future. I don't think that injury ever heals from just rest.

Unfortunately I agree, I guess the medical folks err on the side that avoiding surgery is the best path... but how many times does that just seem to waste time and delay the inevitable.

If Bundy had his surgery at the first sign of discomfort he would have had a full healthy year last year

Seems very pessimistic to me. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of guys who felt some tightness in their elbow, gave it some rest, and the problem resolved itself.

So many pitchers these days seem to get TJ surgery. I'd rather he get it when he's still in the minors so it doesn't effect us when he's expected to be a key part of the team or his arbitration clock if at all.

The Orioles did the right thing and we will see what happens. If they shut him down and did surgery right away he would have missed all next year anyway. By waiting they give the elbow / forearm a chance to heal, which is still possible. They will put him on a program that will emphasize scapular and shoulder stability and improve internal rotation of the shoulder, which reduces the stress on the UCL. If they can get him stable with the scapula and above 55 degrees of internal rotation he has a chance to put this behind him. If not and he needs surgery, he will miss next season anyway. Contrary to popular opinion there is no such surgery where you are better after surgery than prior to injury. Waiting is frustrating for the patient, let alone management and a fan base, but it is the prudent thing.

I will always remind those who want pitchers to get TJ surgery prophylactically that in Europe they used to take out the meniscus to prevent knee injuries to soccer players. How do you think that worked out for the players? If a doctor recommended that now, they would lose their license.

The Orioles did the right thing and we will see what happens. If they shut him down and did surgery right away he would have missed all next year anyway. By waiting they give the elbow / forearm a chance to heal, which is still possible. They will put him on a program that will emphasize scapular and shoulder stability and improve internal rotation of the shoulder, which reduces the stress on the UCL. If they can get him stable with the scapula and above 55 degrees of internal rotation he has a chance to put this behind him. If not and he needs surgery, he will miss next season anyway. Contrary to popular opinion there is no such surgery where you are better after surgery than prior to injury. Waiting is frustrating for the patient, let alone management and a fan base, but it is the prudent thing.

I will always remind those who want pitchers to get TJ surgery prophylactically that in Europe they used to take out the meniscus to prevent knee injuries to soccer players. How do you think that worked out for the players? If a doctor recommended that now, they would lose their license.

I'm sorry, I only listen to people who confirm my own bias, regardless of their clear expertise and greater knowledge. That's how I roll. ;)

Those same folks think Tanaka, who actually has a tear, will be fine. Go figure.

Unfortunately I agree, I guess the medical folks err on the side that avoiding surgery is the best path... but how many times does that just seem to waste time and delay the inevitable.

If Bundy had his surgery at the first sign of discomfort he would have had a full healthy year last year

When will the Yankees get around to doing their guy? Who actually had a tear? Watchful waiting is always the correct initial response. The Orioles were not wrong or stupid with Bundy.

Archived