Interest in Kyle Blanks?

theobird

Blanks was DFA'd by the A's to clear roster space after the Donaldson trade. This guy has major power and has hit well, when healthy. Health has been an issue for Blanks, but I wonder if he would be worth a flier for the O's. I have always liked his potential.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Beane isn't finished making moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blanks included in a trade within the next 10 days. Lindblom, too, for that matter. The A's have 10 days to do something with these players or else waive them, right? I could see them both as throw-ins in a deal like the possible rumored trade to Atlanta for Upton and/or Gattis. If the Braves do trade Upton or Gattis, they could use a potential right handed power bat like Blanks.

It looks like Beane isn't finished making moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blanks included in a trade within the next 10 days. Lindblom, too, for that matter. The A's have 10 days to do something with these players or else waive them, right? I could see them both as throw-ins in a deal like the possible rumored trade to Atlanta for Upton and/or Gattis. If the Braves do trade Upton or Gattis, they could use a potential right handed power bat like Blanks.

Good points. Atlanta could get value out of both DFA'ed players.

No thanks. Nothing he has done in his career suggests he is more than a fringe player at best.

I don't think this is true at all. He's got the pedigree and a number of very good stretches in the majors. His problem has always been health, not production. Like Reimold, he may not be worth taking a look at simply because he's made of glass, but there's plenty of reason to think if he can stay healthy he'll produce.

I don't think this is true at all. He's got the pedigree and a number of very good stretches in the majors. His problem has always been health, not production. Like Reimold, he may not be worth taking a look at simply because he's made of glass, but there's plenty of reason to think if he can stay healthy he'll produce.

Alright, so you take a pot shot at him, see if you get another Steve Pearce, but you don't count on him to be an everyday player. I don't like the idea of him taking up a 40-man spot so if another team does, so be it.

.234/.319/.726 OPS+ 105 ...those numbers look ok on the surface till you realize they are inflated by his very good rookie campaign in 2009 were he pulled .250/.355/.868 137 OPS+ ... since then other than a nice run in Oakland last year he has done nothing. As a bench guy sure, as a guy your counting on to be your DH and contribute on a daily basis....no way.

Combine that factor with the fact that since 2009 the most games he has played is 88, I see no reason to believe that Blanks is an answer to anything other than an extra bat on the bench.

.234/.319/.726 OPS+ 105 ...those numbers look ok on the surface till you realize they are inflated by his very good rookie campaign in 2009 were he pulled .250/.355/.868 137 OPS+ ... since then other than a nice run in Oakland last year he has done nothing. As a bench guy sure, as a guy your counting on to be your DH and contribute on a daily basis....no way.

Combine that factor with the fact that since 2009 the most games he has played is 88, I see no reason to believe that Blanks is an answer to anything other than an extra bat on the bench.

He could be our Delmon, he could be our lost pal, we could call him Al.

I agree with SteveO, but I like him in the Delmon Young role, only more versatile since he can play first base as well as the OF corners.

He could be our Delmon, he could be our lost pal, we could call him Al.

Lol great Simon reference.

In that role I would be fine with him. Just relying on a guy with his track record for much more seems like a recipe for trouble.

A guy I really like who could be possibly had is Scott Van Slyke. Dodgers have a ton of OF players and while I know they want to unload a higher cost option, in the numbers game Van Slyke could still be on the outside looking in with Pederson coming along etc...

Archived