Roch: Rey Navarro is Going to Fight for a Job

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/navarro-im-going-to-fight-for-a-job.html

"I'm really excited about it," ...

"I just feel like I've got a good chance to play there. They made me good offer and they're a winning team. I like it a lot. I just want the chance to play in the big leagues there."

"I'm happy about it. I'm excited to be with the Orioles. I know they to win. They want to win championships."

... former farmhands Miguel Abreu and Edgardo Baez. Single-A infielder Adrian Marin also is on the club.

"They told me they loved playing baseball there and it's a good organization and they love to win and I'm going to have a good time there,"

"I'm comfortable playing second base, too," "I just want a chance to play. I'm confident that I'm going to do a good job at second base, shortstop or third base if they need me there, too. I play with desire at any position."

Navarro, a switch-hitter, will try to win a job in spring training. How he's used isn't important.

"I'm going to play whatever they need me to do,"

"If they need a second baseman every day, I'm going to do it. I'm going to fight for a job. I'll be there trying to make the team."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schoop was 21 (with a broken back) and Navarro was 22 and 24. Last season Navarro split time between AA and AAA.

And your point is? I didn't say Navarro has more potential. I said Navarro has better AAA numbers. Navarro may be better prepared to hit in the majors.

And your point is? I didn't say Navarro has more potential. I said Navarro has better AAA numbers. Navarro may be better prepared to hit in the majors.

My point is that Schoop played all of last season, at 22, in the majors. Navarro at 24 didn't even spend the whole season at AAA.

That tells me more then what numbers they put up at AAA.

My point is that Schoop played all of last season, at 22, in the majors. Navarro at 24 didn't even spend the whole season at AAA.

I agree. A 598 OPS in the majors speaks pretty loudly.

I like Jonathan and want to see improve but I want to see whoever is the best 2B for the O's to be in the Opening Day lineup. Both players have options, so its not a question of losing anyone.

I agree. A 598 OPS in the majors speaks pretty loudly.

I like Jonathan and want to see improve but I want to see whoever is the best 2B for the O's to be in the Opening Day lineup. Both players have options, so its not a question of losing anyone.

I think not being able to hold down an everyday job at AAA at 24 speaks kinda loudly.

I dont care about numbers. Schoop isn't the answer at 2nd base. His glove is wonderful. But his bat has to improve or we need to look elsewhere for a 2nd baseman.

I think not being able to hold down an everyday job at AAA at 24 speaks kinda loudly.

I have not idea what you are talking about. Navarro started 2014 in AA and earned a Mid season All-Star spot. He was promoted to AAA on June 18th and play basically everyday there the rest of the season.

Navarro has been a mid season All-Star in 4 different leagues.

2009 Midwest League (A)

2011 Caroline League (Adv A)

2013 Texas League (AA)

2014 Southern League (AA)

I dont care about numbers. Schoop isn't the answer at 2nd base. His glove is wonderful. But his bat has to improve or we need to look elsewhere for a 2nd baseman.

The numbers show why he should improve.

How hard is it to understand that a 24 year old should be putting up better numbers at AAA then a 21 year old? The fact that Schoop was in the majors at 22 makes him a lot more likely to have a successful MLB career.

It is really a simple concept.

I have not idea what you are talking about. Navarro started 2014 in AA and earned a Mid season All-Star spot. He was promoted to AAA on June 18th and play basically everyday there the rest of the season.

Navarro has been a mid season All-Star in 4 different leagues.

2009 Midwest League (A)

2011 Caroline League (Adv A)

2013 Texas League (AA)

2014 Southern League (AA)

Everyday does not mean everyday from June 18th on.

At 24 he spent roughly half the season at AA.

The numbers show why he should improve.

How hard is it to understand that a 24 year old should be putting up better numbers at AAA then a 21 year old? The fact that Schoop was in the majors at 22 makes him a lot more likely to have a successful MLB career.

It is really a simple concept.

He has NO bat! What do you not understand?

And I'm not even arguing about the players you and wild are. I'm just saying Schoop (imho) isn't the answer at second base

And I'm not even arguing about the players you and wild are. I'm just saying Schoop (imho) isn't the answer at second base

At 22 he tied for 19th in rWAR despite not having enough at bats to qualify for the batting title.

At 22!

He was league average!

You don't think he will improve from there?

Are you one of those guys that doesn't think run prevention counts?

Getting league average production for 500K is a win.

Schoop stuck at 2nd base all year long because he's a plus defender with some pop. He's a kid. He'll never be a patient hitter but he will improve offensively. He's got a quick bat and plenty of power. He just needs to stop listening to Adam Jones...

Archived