Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What job? There won't be an opening until Beeston leaves following the 2015 season.

You don't find it funny that report about him staying for 2015. Had nothing to do with what Peter Angelos said last night?

How do you know Dan doesn't wanna leave to take the job? Sorry i will trust Ken over you. And Peter came out and said Dan is going nowhere. If that's not preventing him i don't know what is.

What's preventing him is the contract he signed with no out clause. If he really wants to leave.

Have any national reporters criticized the Blue Jays for the timing of all this (especially now, given that it looks like Beeston is staying on through next season)?

As far as I know, no one has identified the Blue Jays as the source(s). My guess is still that someone in the MLB offices leaked a list of people Toronto wants to interview.

It makes it sound like there's an offer on the table that Duquette wants to accept. The situation doesn't seem to be anywhere near that.

The beauty of being an unnamed source cited by Rosenthal is that as long as their was a kernel of truth to what you told him, Rosenthal will steadfastly protect your identity.

Personally I think it went down like this

Some butthole corporate type leaked that they were interested in DD to Buster he posts it...they knew the media would run with it and frankly they get to create a swirl of controversy around a competitor as a result.

Likely Toronto NEVER intended to replace Beeson this off-season. This served multiple purposes, first they were likely hoping there was an outside shot that Pete would react rashly and it could cause a schzism between DD and Pete that would lead to DD being available next offseason at a reasonable cost in terms of compensation. Secondly even if it did not, it has sort of let the baseball community at large know that the job will likely be available in the near future.

This is how a classless organization goes about business.

You don't find it funny that report about him staying for 2015. Had nothing to do with what Peter Angelos said last night?

I don't because it was obvious what Angelos was going to say. No team would allow their GM to be interviewed for another job in the middle of the winter meetings. It is ridiculous.

As far as I know, no one has identified the Blue Jays as the source(s). My guess is still that someone in the MLB offices leaked a list of people Toronto wants to interview.

Right, but even making the move at this time is more than a little peculiar. Whether the Blue Jays leaked the list or not, it is still unorthodox to attempt to fill a top level MLB executive position during the winter meetings.

I don't because it was obvious what Angelos was going to say. No team would allow their GM to be interviewed for another job in the middle of the winter meetings. It is ridiculous.

I agree the timing is flat out awful. On the other hand as a owner i would have no faith in my GM right now while he's thinking of another team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To repeat: Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>' Duquette wants to pursue <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a>' prez/CEO job. Difference in salary, responsibility significant.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Once again how is it shabby reporting? He's reporting what he hears.

I want to win the lottery. Difference in income, lifestyle change significant. I haven't quit my job and sold my house, though.

Agree. I don't think this is Toronto at all. Ken saw a chance to screw with PGA and couldn't resist.

Or someone from Dan's camp gave him the info but hey conspiracy theories are cool.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wow, O's fans on my blog totally diss/dismiss Rosenthal's reports. While any reporter can be wrong, this is not another Jr high wannabe.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/TL8throum">@TL8throum</a> Fine, they need to get over it. Some of his reporting from then called out the team at a time when they probably deserved it.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

Well said Steve.

I agree the timing is flat out awful. On the other hand as a owner i would have no faith in my GM right now while he's thinking of another team.

I think this and other implications you have made about not trusting DD to make moves for the Orioles benefit should only be made by those wearing a tin foil hat. You don't reach the level that DD has reached if you are the kind of person that would screw up his current job and think that it wouldn't affect his ability to land his next job.

I think this and other implications you have made about not trusting DD to make moves for the Orioles benefit should only be made by those wearing a tin foil hat. You don't reach the level that DD has reached if you are the kind of person that would screw up his current job and think that it wouldn't affect his ability to land his next job.

Maybe i guess we will find over over the next few months.

The biggest beef I have is this. Is there really a story that Rosenthal actually wrote here? It could be true.... but we don't know. That's the frustrating thing, that you can sort of go public with only anonymous sources about the intent of someone without a public statement for the record.

I always thought that anonymous sources were only meant to supplement an article, and if used, an exact quote was needed to support the picture the reporter wants to paint. Usually to provide insight into what was going on behind the scenes.

The paraphrasing is garbage. Its bad, and he should feel bad. Write a damn article if you have enough to make a case.

Multiple Sources: Bowties make #KenRosenthal look like a toolbox.

How do you know Dan doesn't wanna leave to take the job? Sorry i will trust Ken over you. And Peter came out and said Dan is going nowhere. If that's not preventing him i don't know what is.

Its a mighty big assumption on your part to think that Peter Angelos who is a guy who knows how the business world works would NOT understand exactly why the gig would look attractive to DD. Peter is billionaire, he may be a lot of things but naive and stupid are not two of them.

Even if DD flat out said, yeah I would like that job, I doubt Pete would hold that against him. Now if he said ...no way I would never do that and it turned out to be a lie...well that would irk him. I would bet my house that Pete would almost certainly let DD know that he could understand his interest in a position that pays more, involves more responsibility and would be viewed in the professional circle as an advancement. Then he would let DD know that he values him and will not let him go but will work to see that he finds those things here. Last but not least I imagine Pete would do EXACTLY what he did yesterday which was publicly essentially announce that DD is his guy, he trust this man with his franchise and wants him here. If DD is the guy I tend to think he is, that meant something more to him than how many of us took it initially as Pete declaring his toys off limits. It was as close as Pete can come to admitting, I need this guy. DD is smart enough to know for a guy like Pete, thats an awful lot

Archived