Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>free dan duquette. no good reason angelos shouldnt allow his gm to look into jays ceo job. <a href="http://t.co/9ZiTz4CIov">http://t.co/9ZiTz4CIov</a></p>? Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best part of the article:

"It's true Duquette has four years to go on his contract to remain GM of the Orioles, but no one -- not even Angelos -- should stand in the way of Duquette bettering his life."

Does anyone have a problem with the cognitive dissonance of pundits saying that the Orioles should free an executive from his contract that he individually negotiated for while also believing that is in no way unreasonable for players to have no choice of where they play for 6 seasons (after however many minor league seasons) due to an agreement that they weren't even a party to when it was signed?

Why should Dan Duquette get to better his life when Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson and Corey Kluber are vastly underpaid through a system slanted against them?

Also, how does this article not also mention Ken Williams?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heyman doesn't care about any of that. He, and his media pals, are far more interested in the soap opera that would ensue.

I can't believe the number of posters that are attacking Heyman, Rosenthal, and Harold Reynolds on this site. Jim Valvano said "you should never leave happiness." Maybe DD is not that happy working with the Angelos clan and wants to run his own show. History tells us the Angelos administration is very difficult to work for. Nixing deals, putting financial constraints on his GM's. DD for all we know may not have a great working relationship with Buck. What is telling is he has not said "I have not interest in the Toronto job." If he wants to leave for what he perceives is a better opportunity we should let him go. Why is everyone attacking the media when there is obviously some substance to the story.

Why? No reporter does that. I'm sure he's getting it from someone close to Dan.

Probably from Toronto. When the Toronto assistant GM turned down the Orioles job he had play by play details. I wonder why that guy isn't up for the head Blue Jays job?

Best part of the article:

"It's true Duquette has four years to go on his contract to remain GM of the Orioles, but no one -- not even Angelos -- should stand in the way of Duquette bettering his life."

Does anyone have a problem with the cognitive dissonance of pundits saying that the Orioles should free an executive from his contract that he individually negotiated for while also believing that is in no way unreasonable for players to have no choice of where they play for 6 seasons (after however many minor league seasons) due to an agreement that they weren't even a party to when it was signed?

Why should Dan Duquette get to better his life when Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson and Corey Kluber are vastly underpaid through a system slanted against them?

Also, how does this article not also mention Ken Williams?

What a terrible and incendiary tweet by Heyman.

I tuned out of this for a little while just for my health; however hasn't it been established that Beeston is staying through the 2015 season, meaning this position isn't even open for another year? So how exactly is Angelos holding Duquette back?

This whole thing strikes me as an attention grab by multiple parties.

One criticism of Dan at this point - he needs to come out and say something to shut this down for the rest of the meetings - something definitive. Angelos has said his piece, and did well to do so if you ask me. Dan will have to address this as it is apparently still gaining momentum in spite of the mounting evidence that it should be a non-story.

Guest rochester
Why? No reporter does that. I'm sure he's getting it from someone close to Dan.

Or... you!:scratchchinhmm:

Really, why not - send Kenny a note -

Hi Ken -

Love your work man. How's Lisa and the kids? Hey, as you know, I follow you on Twitter and love how you can break news, so I am just giving this to you, no one else - I have been told that the BJ's want Duquette as their new President and Duquette is very interested but, as I am sure we both agree, Angelos will interfere because he is a bad, bad man. I am almost positive this is going on. I only ask that you tweet this today - that will PO Angelos big time - the timing is perfect.

Is anyone else worried about Buck now, too?

Not necessarily but I think it's important Dan comes out of the Winter Meetings with something for Buck. Is Dan addressing the media today after his no comment from yesterday ?

Is anyone else worried about Buck now, too?

Why would we? If Buck wanted to leave, he'd leave. Even if he's not all out chums with Duquette, Angelos, or both, that's how the working world works. Otherwise, health aside, I expect him to honor his contract and retire in a few years.

I can't believe the number of posters that are attacking Heyman, Rosenthal, and Harold Reynolds on this site. Jim Valvano said "you should never leave happiness." Maybe DD is not that happy working with the Angelos clan and wants to run his own show. History tells us the Angelos administration is very difficult to work for. Nixing deals, putting financial constraints on his GM's. DD for all we know may not have a great working relationship with Buck. What is telling is he has not said "I have not interest in the Toronto job." If he wants to leave for what he perceives is a better opportunity we should let him go. Why is everyone attacking the media when there is obviously some substance to the story.

The reason people are attacking the media is that the entire story has been put forward in a blatantly self-serving way by Rosenthal, and picked up by his peers. Look at the opening Rosenthal tweet in the opening post. Rosenthal put this out there at a moment when he knew Duquette and others would be on a plane to the West Coast and could not respond for hours. He then stated "difficult for O's to stand in the way," when I would guess Rosenthal knew full well that Angelos and the O's had every right and legal standing to object. This smacks of setting up a drama that the gossip columnists can milk for a while: Angelos is the bad guy for insisting on a valued GM honoring his contract, all of Duquette's moves and non-moves for the offseason can be questioned regarding his loyalties, parts of the fan base can be roiled by these doubts, etc.

If the BJ's were honestly interested in Duquette and competent, neither of which I know for sure, they would certainly have ensured that this information did not get out until they had negotiated with Peter about the opportunity to officially discuss the opportunity with Duquette. (I am sure there were indirect, unofficial inquiries with Duquette or his associates beforehand.) By leaking the information, whether through malevolence or incompetence, they guaranteed that Duquette would not be available, even if he were interested in the job. Duquette apparently applied for this same job before coming to the O's. The O's were the ones who were brave enough to give a job to a guy who'd been out of MLB for a decade, the BJ's were not. Given that history, it is quite understandable that Angelos would insist on Duquette honoring his contract. This "free Dan Duquette" storyline is invented to serve the interests of the baseball gossip columnists, and nobody else.

I agree with most everything you say. The problem I have with Rosenthal is the WAY he reported this story. It was poor. I'm not saying he is even lying. However, no one is coming out to authenticate anything he IMPLIED.

If a reporter says the Orioles scored 11 runs in the bottom of the ninth with enthusiasm. He didn't lie. What he doesn't tell you is the Orioles lost 14 to 12.

Guest rochester

*Orioles GM Dan Duquette wants the chance to pursue the Jays’ position, and some in the organization would not oppose his departure, according to sources.

If that is the case, why would Orioles owner Peter Angelos take such a firm stand against allowing Duquette to leave, even though the GM is under contract for four more years? Why keep an executive who wants out?

Either he got this directly from DD or he just lost all credibility. I understand the weak caveat "If that is the case..." but no "according to sources". This comes across as biased to say the least. No mention that maybe, just maybe, there may be some justification because of the timing? This leaking comes at a time where it can only hurt the O's - and would say that even if this happened with the MFYs. Then, he mentions protocol like it's the Sox and O's in the wrong.

I know, I'll get the comments defending Rosenthal and making the O's out as the bad guys but really? For those that have been in these roles, it is almost as bad as preparing for the quarterly earning conference call and the day before it comes out that you are interesting in leaving and the board will not let you. Really?

Archived