Alex Rios agrees to one-year with royals

Greg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how the Royals are outspending us

They still have a lower payroll in 2015. Plus the Royals will pay $17.5 million in 2015 to Kendrys Morales and Alex Rios. That's just DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could force the market down on Aoki. I would guess this means KC is out of the bidding on him. I would much rather have Aoki at 2/$24 than Rios 1/$11. Aoki could fall to us by default, kind of like Cruz last year.

KC did not want to bring Aoki back, and never had any substantive talks with his representation. Like Cruz, he is not a very good OFer, which is why they always used a defensive replacement for him late in games. Unlike Cruz, he has no pop in his bat. None.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Alex Rios' power dropoff last year was a concern to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> and other clubs shopping for free agent outfield help.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KC did not want to bring Aoki back, and never had any substantive talks with his representation. Like Cruz, he is not a very good OFer, which is why they always used a defensive replacement for him late in games. Unlike Cruz, he has no pop in his bat. None.

They used defensive replacements since they have 3 of the best defensive OFs in the game on the roster, in Gordon/Dyson/Cain. He's pretty much an average defensive OF.

Aoki is an average defensive OF which makes him light years better than Cruz. Fangraphs has Cruz at -11 defensive runs in maybe 50 games played in the field, vs Aoki at 0.2 defensive runs as an everyday OF.

I am not saying Aoki is a better player, only that he could fall to us at a reasonable price the same way Cruz did. Aoki does not have power but he is a very consistent .350 OBP hitter, including .319 vs. lefties.

Archived