For the first time EVER, I actually agree with Angelos but I think his plan is going to backfire.

millertime

I think one top prospect is a fair trade at this point. Best not to overplay your hand. As the OP says, it's no good being stuck with a disgruntled GM. And playing hardball with allowing an executive to leave for another position might not be the best advertisement for prospective candidates who might replace Duquette once he leaves.

This is meaningless fortunately. There was no appropriate behavior in this poaching attempt and no slime will apply to the Orioles through this other than through a couple media type agendas. Read about the way Toronto approached this all and see if anyone inside the actual sport would think this way. The narrative that Angelos is a jerk here is just one man's folly.

Potter lives for this kind of situation. Ed Rogers and MLB are a bunch of amateurs in this kind of maneuvering. DD had better really hope that Toronto meets Potter's demands. Because now, with all this controversy, if Duquette stays and even if he does a good job, his MLB baseball career is pretty much over come the end of this contract. Pretty sad.

DD had better really hope that Toronto meets Potter's demands. Because now, with all this controversy, if Duquette stays and even if he does a good job, his MLB baseball career is pretty much over come the end of this contract.

That is a huge overstatement. Someone will always be willing to pay for a quality GM. If what you say is true, then nobody would have ever hired Larry Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or any other "nomadic" coach/executive after their first couple of jobs.

Roch and Jim Duquette both say it is still not close. There is no indication that the Orioles would let Dan leave for only Hoffman. The Orioles are going to file tampering charges if Dan does not go to Toronto. Dan has a non compete clause in his contract as do most executives per Jim.

That is a huge overstatement. Someone will always be willing to pay for a quality GM. If what you say is true, then nobody would have ever hired Larry Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or any other "nomadic" coach/executive after their first couple of jobs.

Especially a "turn around" artist. GM's are not near as expensive as on field talent.

I think one top prospect is a fair trade at this point. Best not to overplay your hand. As the OP says, it's no good being stuck with a disgruntled GM. And playing hardball with allowing an executive to leave for another position might not be the best advertisement for prospective candidates who might replace Duquette once he leaves.

We're takling about adults here. We're not talking about a bunch of elementary school children playing MLB The Show. If Duke comes back, he might be a little upset for a while. And he might leave at the end of his contract. But he might also work THAT much harder to ensure he can get out of dodge at the end of his contract.

And no, asking for more than one top prospect is not overplaying our hand. If Toronto balks, we keep our GM who has done a fantastic job juggling resources to get the most out of this team. If Toronto gives in, we get two of their best prospects... giving us two more prospects and taking two away from a division rival.

With one top prospect (one coming off of TJ surgery by the way), he gets hurt and it could be all over. If DD is back and falls down the stairs in the warehouse later, he can still at least perform the duties of GM (provided he didn't hit his head).

I kind of see the O's as in a no-lose situation at this point. One of two things will happen:

1) They will get the compensation they want and let Duquette go

2) They will not get what they want and will shut this down

If Duquette is required to stay, I wouldn't doubt that he'd be unhappy for a little while, but with four years on his contract it shouldn't take long for him to snap out of it and get on with doing his job as he's been doing it for the last three years.

I kind of see the O's as in a no-lose situation at this point. One of two things will happen:

1) They will get the compensation they want and let Duquette go

2) They will not get what they want and will shut this down

If Duquette is required to stay, I wouldn't doubt that he'd be unhappy for a little while, but with four years on his contract it shouldn't take long for him to snap out of it and get on with doing his job as he's been doing it for the last three years.

Maybe even better. He may have a bit less swagger and those people in the organization that Rosenthal said wanted him to go might just start liking him again. And who wouldn't want to come work for one of the most sought after, executive of the year winning, GM's that you KNOW will be there for four full years.

Archived