For the first time EVER, I actually agree with Angelos but I think his plan is going to backfire.

millertime

I never thought the day would come that I would agree with Peter Angelos but the more and more I think about the way he is handling the Duquette situation, I think it is really smart. The problem is, I think he plan is going to backfire and here is why. From all we have heard, Angelos is willing to send Duq to Toronto so long as we get a substantial return which, given the way that Toronto has handled this whole ordeal, he has every right to have high demands. Also...it has been reported that he has considered filing tampering charges against the Blue Jays. Think about that for a minute. The longer this thing gets dragged out, the more realistic his chances are of actually winning a tampering case IMHO. So he has, in a way, painted Toronto into a corner. If they want Duquette that bad, they will have to give us a substantial return but if they decide that they are tired of dealing with Angelos and go in another direction, they have to at least be concerned that the tampering charges will be filed and they could end up losing a 1st round draft pick anyway. Its almost brilliant. Main word being "almost" though. What I am afraid is going to happen is Toronto will eventually go in another direction and Angelos will lose the tampering case and then we are left with an unhappy GM. Only time will tell but again, if this is indeed the way Angelos is viewing this situation, maybe, just maybe he is a lot smarter than I give him credit for.

I never thought the day would come that I would agree with Peter Angelos but the more and more I think about the way he is handling the Duquette situation, I think it is really smart. The problem is, I think he plan is going to backfire and here is why. From all we have heard, Angelos is willing to send Duq to Toronto so long as we get a substantial return which, given the way that Toronto has handled this whole ordeal, he has every right to have high demands. Also...it has been reported that he has considered filing tampering charges against the Blue Jays. Think about that for a minute. The longer this thing gets dragged out, the more realistic his chances are of actually winning a tampering case IMHO. So he has, in a way, painted Toronto into a corner. If they want Duquette that bad, they will have to give us a substantial return but if they decide that they are tired of dealing with Angelos and go in another direction, they have to at least be concerned that the tampering charges will be filed and they could end up losing a 1st round draft pick anyway. Its almost brilliant. Main word being "almost" though. What I am afraid is going to happen is Toronto will eventually go in another direction and Angelos will lose the tampering case and then we are left with an unhappy GM. Only time will tell but again, if this is indeed the way Angelos is viewing this situation, maybe, just maybe he is a lot smarter than I give him credit for.

No you are wrong. This is exactly the time for pa to dig in and hold his ground. Two top prospects for Duke or no deal. Toronto is posturing right now trying to act disinterested. The pressure on Rogers to not give in is probably coming from anti pa factions in the media or mlb. Deep down he wants Duke and pa needs to hold his ground.

My problem with this whole fiasco is that I don't want Duquette back any longer. If we get stuck with him, give him an empty desk and chair and have whoever will be his successor do the actual GM duties. I just don't trust DD any longer.:mad:

I got a feeling that Duke is going to be miserable and it brings a smile to my face. Buck is going to be making the big decisions and

will have PA's ear while Duke is locked in the closet.

If Duquette stays in Baltimore then he will be very busy working on his image for his employer, the Orioles fan base, and the rest of MLB in case another opportunity comes up or 2019 arrives, whichever comes first. There's no profit in being "unhappy". There's considerable profit in being successful and productive however. The angst over his emotional state is nothing short of mind-boggling IMO.

Isn't Duquette is the one who should worry about the plan backfiring if there ever was a plan to begin with? Where will he go without PA's (perhaps expensive) blessing? What will he do in his current position if the trust that PA once gave him is no longer in place? I don't have any worries about the effort he'll put in if he continues to be Baltimore's GM. I will be more worried about his performance in an environment where every decision was scrutinized by an owner with a renewed taste for second-guessing.

If Duquette stays in Baltimore then he will be very busy working on his image for his employer, the Orioles fan base, and the rest of MLB in case another opportunity comes up or 2019 arrives, whichever comes first. There's no profit in being "unhappy". There's considerable profit in being successful and productive however. The angst over his emotional state is nothing short of mind-boggling IMO.

Isn't Duquette is the one who should worry about the plan backfiring if there ever was a plan to begin with? Where will he go without PA's (perhaps expensive) blessing? What will he do in his current position if the trust that PA once gave him is no longer in place? I don't have any worries about the effort he'll put in if he continues to be Baltimore's GM. I will be more worried about his performance in an environment where every decision was scrutinized by an owner with a renewed taste for second-guessing.

Not trying dole out far more (intellectual) credit than is probably due, but what if this was Ed Rogers' whole end game? Screwing with our FO enough to render DD useless to the O's and make PA take (overbearing) control of the reigns again. I think that is a worst case scenario for every Orioles fan.

I got a feeling that Duke is going to be miserable and it brings a smile to my face. Buck is going to be making the big decisions and

will have PA's ear while Duke is locked in the closet.

That would be a really poor development for the Baltimore Orioles and not much to smile about.

Not trying dole out far more (intellectual) credit than is probably due, but what if this was Ed Rogers' whole end game? Screwing with our FO enough to render DD useless to the O's and make PA take (overbearing) control of the reigns again. I think that is a worst case scenario for every Orioles fan.

Is Ed Rogers capable of the sort of subtlety that would be necessary to pull something like that off? Perhaps a better question is does Peter Angelos have the remaining lifespan to make such an effort worthwhile? I think the answer to both questions is no. IMO it's more likely that Ed Rogers is a clumsy rich fool, Dan Duquette has gotten ahead of himself on the career curve and Peter Angelos has been given the broom to clean up the mess.

That's not to say that Peter Angelos isn't capable of meddling once again once the dust settles. I don't know what worries me more, the possibility of Duquette in place without the trust of ownership, or a genuine horror like Ned Colletti taking over at this stage of the Orioles' turnaround.

I have a feeling that Duquette is going to be miserable, and it brings a smile to my face. Buck is going to be making the big decisions, and will have Angelos' ear while Duquette is locked in the closet.
That would be a really poor development for the Baltimore Orioles, and not much to smile about.

I agree.

I think that that kind of vindictiveness would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I hope that Duquette, the Angelos family, Showalter, and anybody else on our side can put aside any bitter feelings that they may have, and act professionally if Duquette remains with the Orioles, which I believe would be what is best for the franchise.

I don't see why people are down on DD in all this. Of course he'd be interested in talking to TOR about a promotion. Who wouldn't. If it doesn't work out then I am confident he will do his job like the professional he is. I think a lot of people are projecting their own immaturity onto him.

I don't see why people are down on DD in all this. Of course he'd be interested in talking to TOR about a promotion. Who wouldn't. If it doesn't work out then I am confident he will do his job like the professional he is. I think a lot of people are projecting their own immaturity onto him.

Because he wants to go to a divisional rival which will have a big impact on us. And I never really respected him that much to begin with and don't give him as much credit as others do.

I think one top prospect is a fair trade at this point. Best not to overplay your hand. As the OP says, it's no good being stuck with a disgruntled GM. And playing hardball with allowing an executive to leave for another position might not be the best advertisement for prospective candidates who might replace Duquette once he leaves.

Archived