Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

Still in shock he's with the team. MLB should've forced Toronto to give us at least their top prospect and be done with it. He's living off MacPhail's money anyway.

How many more times does this line have to be stated until people realize it's not true? Andy MacPhail acquired some of the talent on the team, but so has Dan Duquette, a lot of the talent in fact. What is it that people don't see?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still in shock he's with the team. MLB should've forced Toronto to give us at least their top prospect and be done with it. He's living off MacPhail's money anyway.

Wow - this team is three years removed from Andy MacPhail. He did some good things. DD has been awesome. We will destroy his off-season because he doesn't make the splash move, but you look up and this team has depth. This team has star power coming back from injury. This team has a deep pitching staff and a good bullpen. This team plays defense. This team has some real interesting breakout candidates (Travis Snider). Thank God for DD.

The core of this team is from MacPhail. Yes, DD has added some plug and play guys, but the foundation of this team is MacPhail. Don't know why people don't see that either... but ok.

MacPhail added some good pieces. But by September we had shlubs starting who had no business being on a Major League field. DD completely revamped the talent in the minors so that even for crippling injuries, we still had ML talent on the field and remained competitive. Playoff competitive.

I don't know why people don't see that.

Most people understand that both MacPhail and Duquette acquired significant pieces of the 2012-14 Orioles, that neither guy was perfect, that other people (Buck, for example) have played an impirtant role, and that a combination of skill, luck and timing contributed to the success of the team the last three years. Not everything in life has a single cause. Dan's here now, he's done a good job and I'd rather have him than not have him. If he leaves at some point, I just hope the timing is appropriate to not disrupt what the team is doing and allows them to conduct and orderly search for a good replacement.

U

Most people understand that both MacPhail and Duquette acquired significant pieces of the 2012-14 Orioles, that neither guy was perfect, that other people (Buck, for example) have played an impirtant role, and that a combination of skill, luck and timing contributed to the success of the team the last three years. Not everything in life has a single cause. Dan's here now, he's done a good job and I'd rather have him than not have him. If he leaves at some point, I just hope the timing is appropriate to not disrupt what the team is doing and allows them to conduct and orderly search for a good replacement.

Good post. DD has done a good job acquiring depth. AM was absolutely terrible withat aspect. Buck is the 80% cause of our success, let's not kid ourselves. If he left, DD wouldn't look like such a hot commodity IMO.

If Dan were to leave, I would like to have Andy back.

How many on the opening day 2015 roster were on the team opening day 2012 (9 or 10 if Nolan makes the club) http://wnst.net/baltimore-orioles/opening-day-roster-set-as-orioles-enter-2012-season/

Go back to 2011, the number is 5. http://www.bmorebirdsnest.com/2011/03/29/os-make-final-cuts-opening-day-roster-set/

Dan has done plenty to deserve credit, even if some of the foundation was here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team of Dan and Buck has done amazing things for the O's over that three years. I see no reason not to have that continue for years to come. Why risk letting Dan go. Promote the guy.

The O's should restructure the front office to a Detroit Tiger model. Have Chairman Peter and Vice Chairman John in Ownership. Make Dan CEO/President and GM. Give Dan the raise and the title that will keep Dan and Buck together.

John will still be there to oversee the business side with Dan working for him. Dan will continue to run the baseball side and add involvement is the business side. They probably have to give Buck as raise to keep things in balance.

If the O's player payroll is at 120M this year and going to 130m next year, I would rather see some of the 10m go to keeping Dan and Buck happy. They are the ones that have made the O's winners. Reward them and lets keep this team together.

How many on the opening day 2015 roster were on the team opening day 2012 (9 or 10 if Nolan makes the club) http://wnst.net/baltimore-orioles/opening-day-roster-set-as-orioles-enter-2012-season/

Go back to 2011' date=' the number is 5. [url']http://www.bmorebirdsnest.com/2011/03/29/os-make-final-cuts-opening-day-roster-set/[/url]

Dan has done plenty to deserve credit, even if some of the foundation was here.

It's just natural that the longer Dan is here, the more the players are from his tenure, not MacPhail's (or even earlier regimes).

That said, I count Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado, Wieters, Jones, Tillman, Britton, O'Day, and Hunter as guys who were in the organization when Dan arrived. That's six starting position players, your best starting pitcher, and your three top relievers. Not a bad base to work with. Several of those guys were not ready to be prime time performers while Andy was here -- either not yet in the majors at all, or not yet in their primes. Dan did a great job of assembling pieces around them, and Buck has put them in the right roles and helped them be all they can be. Plenty of credit to go around.

It's just natural that the longer Dan is here, the more the players are from his tenure, not MacPhail's (or even earlier regimes).

That said, I count Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado, Wieters, Jones, Tillman, Britton, O'Day, and Hunter as guys who were in the organization when Dan arrived. That's six starting position players, your best starting pitcher, and your three top relievers. Not a bad base to work with. Several of those guys were not ready to be prime time performers while Andy was here -- either not yet in the majors at all, or not yet in their primes. Dan did a great job of assembling pieces around them, and Buck has put them in the right roles and helped them be all they can be. Plenty of credit to go around.

All this is true but Dan did more than assemble the pieces around them. He built a starting pitching staff by doing two things that MacPhail had not done. He improved the international scouting which brought the O's Miguel Gonzalez and Wei- Yin Chen. He traded prospects for a major league starter in Norris. I think Andy could have drafted Gausman but it was under Dan's watch that happened.

Building pitching staff, adding depth to the team and changing the team's philosophy to have the best players in the majors for each game has lead to the O's being winners. The last item here requires quick action which was not in MacPhail's mode of operation. He was methodical. Andy made some great trades that help the team a lot but it was Dan that made the O's a winner working closely with Buck.

All this is true but Dan did more than assemble the pieces around them. He built a starting pitching staff by doing two things that MacPhail had not done. He improved the international scouting which brought the O's Miguel Gonzalez and Wei- Yin Chen. He traded prospects for a major league starter in Norris. I think Andy could have drafted Gausman but it was under Dan's watch that happened.

Building pitching staff, adding depth to the team and changing the team's philosophy to have the best players in the majors for each game has lead to the O's being winners. The last item here requires quick action which was not in MacPhail's mode of operation. He was methodical. Andy made some great trades that help the team a lot but it was Dan that made the O's a winner working closely with Buck.

prospects.jpg

The combo of AM and DD worked pretty nicely together, though unintentionally. AM built up the foundation and DD has done a great job with filling in the cracks, adding depth and managing the 40 man brilliantly. His challenge now as the base is getting older and more expensive is quite different than his first few years. And the next phase involves a lot of chance that is beyond his control. Chen, Wieters and Davis are all highly likely to go elsewhere after this season and what compensation we get (if any) for each of them will go a long way towards determining what kind of re-stocking we can do with the farm system. We could see a very large talent drop from our 40 man roster after 2015, with only a modest increase in financial means to improve by free agency (which is generally a losing strategy anyhow). 2015 may be the last year where his stature in the game is as high as it is. DD has a harder job ahead of him. And he'll be the guy at the wheel when a lot of well liked Orioles leave for more money elsewhere. Which he also could do if not locked into his contract. It's not shocking that he would have interest in the Toronto job. The title and salary bump would be welcomed too I'm quite certain. I'm pretty certain that we haven't heard the end of this. I'm not advocating letting him go to Toronto, but it may be worth considering that if he is going to leave in the next 12 months, it may be better for the Orioles for it to be sooner rather than later, given the incredibly critical offseason we will have next winter. If we think the DD tampering was distracting this offseason, imagine what it will be like when we do this all over again in an offseason where Wei-Yin Chen, Chris Davis, Matt Wieters, Bud Norris, Darren O'Day, Steve Pearce, Tommy Hunter, Alejandro De Aza, Delmon Young, and Ryan Webb are free agents. Imagine sending DD to the winter meetings under that cloud again, but while these guys are all negotiating with other teams. And if we don't file tampering charges now, what's stopping Toronto from using their search to also torpedo a critical offseason of a division rival while conducting the search they need to do anyhow? I'm nervous enough about next offseason, playing that DD/Toronto game again would be a disaster.

Archived