Fanfest Changes Needed

terpspe

I think it is time to consider some fundamental changes to Fanfest. Today's event was great and was pretty much what we all expect but the attendance has made it a challenge to make it an event that involves much more then standing in line.

I'd love to hear others thoughts. Mine are:

1. Forums need more seats. The crowd is always standing and 3-4 deep. Space should be appropriated based on demand.

2. More autograph stations with perhaps fewer players at each. Obviously demand is sky high and it is a great charity fundraiser. Allow more to experience it.

3. Make season ticket holders buy tickets. I love my freebies but this is part of the reason the crowd is so large.

4. Stuff leftover giveaways in the entrance bags. Who among us did not appreciate the opportunity to own 12 Brian Matusz bobbleheads a few years back? But the line has gotten out of hand.

5. Move the equipment sale: maybe back to the Warehouse? The room it is held in is not large enough for the demand. Little kids get lost in that room.

Any other thoughts/

I completely agree on most of your points. The give away line was absolutely absurd. There was no way I was waiting that long for a t-shirt that was probably X-L anyway. I wish there was just more to do there in general. Luckily, I had autograph vouchers but besides that and the fan forums there really isn't much to do if you aren't a child or have children but I guess that's the point of Fanfest?

On the bright side, I won a signed Buck Showalter form the MASN claw machine which was pretty awesome.

Did anyone see the grab bag signed baseballs this year? They were there the last time I went but I couldn't find them this year.

I actually agree with this post. The Sooners do something similar every year. It is just a mess.

My dad took me for years until it became ridiculous. Then I took my boys for a few years - and we had the same problems.

The hassle isn't worth it.

But I do not think this problem is just an Oriole problem or a Sooner problem.

I would think it happens at every sports team event - regardless of league or level.

Wait a minute - someone has 12 matusz's bobbleheads??????????? I Want one!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I do want one but I hope for the love of God that he isn't on our team this year.

I think it is time to consider some fundamental changes to Fanfest. Today's event was great and was pretty much what we all expect but the attendance has made it a challenge to make it an event that involves much more then standing in line.

I'd love to hear others thoughts. Mine are:

1. Forums need more seats. The crowd is always standing and 3-4 deep. Space should be appropriated based on demand.

2. More autograph stations with perhaps fewer players at each. Obviously demand is sky high and it is a great charity fundraiser. Allow more to experience it.

3. Make season ticket holders buy tickets. I love my freebies but this is part of the reason the crowd is so large.

4. Stuff leftover giveaways in the entrance bags. Who among us did not appreciate the opportunity to own 12 Brian Matusz bobbleheads a few years back? But the line has gotten out of hand.

5. Move the equipment sale: maybe back to the Warehouse? The room it is held in is not large enough for the demand. Little kids get lost in that room.

Any other thoughts/

They would like a larger crowd.

The sale helps defer some of the expense of the event.

They should have a larger forum area.

It's all about the season ticket holder perks with this team now, and in the future.

It's all about the season ticket holder perks with this team now, and in the future.

I think the intent is great but they need to realize its not a perk if it doesn't improve. There were noticeable downgrades this year (stickers instead of magnets in the bag for example, shorter forums as well i.e. 30 mins vs 45-50). Can't complain about free though. I just think small tweaks can improve the event without costing them tons.

It used to be 2 days which helped with the crowds.

I love the vouchers though. I think they should limit it to 1 voucher per person per session though. A lot of the people who I heard talk about selling their vouchers said they would sell their 2nd voucher to offset their cost.

It used to be 2 days which helped with the crowds.

I love the vouchers though. I think they should limit it to 1 voucher per person per session though. A lot of the people who I heard talk about selling their vouchers said they would sell their 2nd voucher to offset their cost.

I agree. Maybe require photo ID at the station as well as the voucher.

I think the intent is great but they need to realize its not a perk if it doesn't improve. There were noticeable downgrades this year (stickers instead of magnets in the bag for example, shorter forums as well i.e. 30 mins vs 45-50). Can't complain about free though. I just think small tweaks can improve the event without costing them tons.

Yeah, I think the stickers are ok. I used to like the magnets. I really don't go for the giveaways and autographs anyway. I like being with our guys for a few hours. I mean, they are right there with all of us.

Let me preface this by saying I've only been once, and that was last year. I gave away my free tickets to friends this year. I was turned off last year by the amount of time I spent in lines. First I waited in line to get in the center. Once inside, I headed to the autograph stations, as I had a couple vouchers. I obviously expected a wait there, but seems like it could be organized a little better. You can choose to either arrive early and wait in a non-moving line. Or arrive later and stand in a slow moving line. If you don't make it in line by a certain point, you cannot use your voucher. I also tried the giveaway line a couple times. However, the line stretched around multiple corners and you had no idea what you were getting til you got to front (I got a program and an Os miniature truck). After working up an appetite, I headed to the concessions where I spent a good 40 minutes in line there. The coolest part to me was the equipment room where I got a game used hat and jersey. Super cool concept, but I think it should be in a bigger room as well.

I hate that I am complaining about a free event designed to give back to the fans. It's a great idea, but like other have said, I think it could be organized better.

Yes, the grab bags were there, at the end of the Silent Auction table nearest the cash register. What I didn't see was any of the outdoor vinyl street posters that they usually sell that I like buying, but I didn't get to the store until around 2:00 P.M., so I just assumed that they had sold out of them.

A couple of thoughts.

Having the freebies be handed out in bags does make some sense. I guess one issue is the amount and size of the items. They did have seperate stuff for kids this year, so you can't prepackage that.

I would like to see more seats for the fan forums.

They didn't give stickers away they are actually fatheads. I have never owned any of them before but the size and number of logos was more this year.

I think you only want so many autograph sales. That is a lot of people waiting in lines and that takes up a lot of space. I don't think they would have enough room for more autographs.

The equipment sales and team store was too small. I guess they only have so many options. They did sell street signs. I saw people leaving with them when I was in the line for giveaways. I went back to the store room later and it was over overcrowded.

They let people in early today, I guess because of the weather. I think this makes sense in general. Helped to lessen the lines getting in.

Disagree about free tickets. I would pay anyway but it is about taking care of your season plan holders.

Just wanted to add I went with my wife and young daughter. I think they do a good job having stuff for the kids. The games, face painting, balloons etc. I did the tour a couple of years ago and having that is something extra that I think is nice.

They used to have two giveaway stations a few years back. The line for the giveaways was long and slow. Bingo was fun and won two free tickets. The lines for everything was long. How many free tickets were handed out. At 10:15 the crowd was crazy. I thought only two tickets per season account. Also baby strollers are not a great idea in a big crowd. Have people forget how to walk? They are looking at their phone and keep bumping into people. Please in a crowd look where you are going.

Yes, the grab bags were there, at the end of the Silent Auction table nearest the cash register. What I didn't see was any of the outdoor vinyl street posters that they usually sell that I like buying, but I didn't get to the store until around 2:00 P.M., so I just assumed that they had sold out of them.

Can you post a pic of 1 of these outdoor vinyl street posters? I think I would like one for my man cave

Archived