The Lineup

larrytt

I don't understand how you can predict his entire career off his rookie season.

I mean I sit hear and tell ppl I believe Manny will be injury prone throughout his whole career and I get a lot of negative responses. Schoop is what, 23, 24 yrs old? And you could already tell what he will be throughout his whole career?

Hopefully the Os hire you as a player evaluator. With you, DD, and Buck the future would be blinding!

It's called reading scouting reports. I don't know what you really expect out of him. Did you even follow him in the minors?

Even If he improves from last season you are still lookin at a .220 hitter who struggles to get on base.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's called reading scouting reports. I don't know what you really expect out of him. Did you even follow him in the minors?

Even If he improves from last season you are still lookin at a .220 hitter who struggles to get on base.

No I never follow minor leaguers.

But I thought ppl around here put a lot of stock into potential. Bundy has the potential to be a ACE, so ive heard, Manny jas potential to be MVP IF healthy. I just like Schoop potential far more than what Cabrera brings.

I dont think its impossible for Schoop to improve to a .250-.260 hitter with a OBP around .300. I dont think we plug Cabrera into the lineup and say, ok we know he will give us a .350 OBP. There uncertainty with both.

I agree adding OBP guys to this lineup would be great. I just dont think Cabrera is a lock to be that much more valuable to the team.

If I remember correctly Cabrera was a highly touted prospect coming up with SD. Now he is settling for 1 year $2mm deals.

Just a few years ago Wieters couldnt hit over .250, then last year he was hitting around .290 before getting hurt and eveyone was kind of shocked by him doing that. And that was three or four seasons into the bigs. And we are going to say Schoop cant improve after one year? And I don't think you can say if he improves he will only improve his avg by 11 points. When you're only hitting .200, jumping to .250 wouldn't be a miracle.

But I'm not going to argue because my opinion is that Schoop will win the job in the next 30 days. If he dont then hopefully Cabrera has the year we are looking for.

I don't understand how you can predict his entire career off his rookie season.

I mean I sit hear and tell ppl I believe Manny will be injury prone throughout his whole career and I get a lot of negative responses. Schoop is what, 23, 24 yrs old? And you could already tell what he will be throughout his whole career?

Hopefully the Os hire you as a player evaluator. With you, DD, and Buck the future would be blinding!

I'd love to know what scouting reports you've seen that say Schoop will be a .220 hitter once he matures. The guy was a .268 hitter in the minors despite being rushed at virtually every level. I'd easily bet that he'll be a .250 hitter once he has some more experience.

I haven't thought about it too much. He might. He might not. De Aza will be the full time LF to start the season, IMO.

It seems like the only way De Aza is the full time LFer is that Pearce platoons with Snider in RF. Buck is probably going to play Young as DH vs lefties just so Young as a role on the team.

It will be interesting to see who hits better against lefties -De Aza or Snider. I am not guessing. I just watching on this one.

I see Pearce getting full time AB's to start the season in RF or DH. I don't see him as just the RH half of a platoon. I think Snider starts the year off platooning with Young but that doesn't mean Snider might not be in RF and Pearce at DH when a RH is on the mound. Pearce and De Aza play essentially everday. Young plays DH against LHP. Snider plays RF or DH's against RHP. Let's say Pearce plays RF against a RHP. In that case, Snider is the DH but it could be the other way around.

I think Young playing the OF will be very rare. He will get 95% of his AB at DH or PH.

The minor league data is insufficient to project Schoop. His BB rate was high in the low minors. Had he experienced sufficient, uninterrupted play in the high minors, we may have seen him adjust accordingly. I don't think anyone can project from the data Schoop has supplied exactly what type of major league hitter he will become. He might be the lovechild of Lou Whitaker and Robinson Cano offensively, for all we know. One year in the bigs at 22 years of age does not tell the story of his future. Schoop is playing ahead of the curve -- when it comes to AA, for that matter. Based on last year, though unappealing to some, the average projection ranks him 20th best secondbaseman. I don't think it's justified to claim that, "He will always be a below average secondbaseman," based on the limited data available.

I'd love to know what scouting reports you've seen that say Schoop will be a .220 hitter once he matures. The guy was a .268 hitter in the minors despite being rushed at virtually every level. I'd easily bet that he'll be a .250 hitter once he has some more experience.

I am not saying he's going to be a career .220 hitter, I just said if he shows improvement from last season I think this year he's going to be around a .220 hitter. He really needs to work on plate discipline. I hope he can really learn from last season but its's a work in progress thats all.

I am not saying he's going to be a career .220 hitter, I just said if he shows improvement from last season I think this year he's going to be around a .220 hitter. He really needs to work on plate discipline. I hope he can really learn from last season but its's a work in progress thats all.

I could see that for this season. But when you said Schoop ''will always be a below average secondbaseman,'' I didn't take the critique to be about this year's production only.

I could see that for this season. But when you said Schoop ''will always be a below average secondbaseman,'' I didn't take the critique to be about this year's production only.

That was my interpretation as well. And I think Schoop has a good chance to be an above average starting 2B in time. For this year, though, I'd agree that I wouldn't count on him hitting much more than .220, but at least with some pop.

So, if he improves from last year, you think it's only to the tune of 11 points on his BA? You know he was around .240 most of the year until he fell apart at the end.

EDIT: My mistake, looks like he was around .220 most of the year. Still, if he shows improvement, how do you figure it's only to around .220? I think he'll hit around .240/.290/.400 this year, and continue to improve after that.

Archived