What to do with Everth Cabrera?

wildcard

Base line on this discussion is that the acquisition of Cabrera looks like it has made the O's better. The team is deeper with him in the organization. He has assets the O's can use including speed, some versatility and possible good defense and OBP. I say possible because I am not sure whether his defense or OBP will be consistent.

Cabrera hit a homer and a triple last night to raise his line to 286/355/464/819. Those are numbers that would be good to have at the top of the order if he could maintain them.

The first job that Cabrera will have is to fill in at shortstop for JJ Hardy. If he can play well enough there so that Hardy does not have to rush back - so that JJ is 100% healthy when he returns - then Cabrera will have added something very valuable to the O's.

I don't expect Cabrera to take Hardy's job. Hard to do that to a guy who is the reigning Gold Glove winner, anchor of the O's infield and just signed a 3 year extension. No, JJ gets his job back when he is healthy no matter how well Cabrera does.

Next job I would like to see Cabrera take on in prove that he can be a very good 2B. Schoop has superior range and arm but a bat that is in the development stage we hope. No need to throw Cabrera into the O's 2B job without the right amount to preparation. I would like to see Cabrera go to AAA and play 2B everyday. Refine his skills at 2B and show that he is ready to take over 2B without a drop off. Then if he can do that and Schoop's bat has not come around the O's would have the luxury of swapping the two players. Cabrera at 2B for the O's and Schoop showing he can hit and play great defense at 2B at AAA. This would benefit the O's.

It is not a given that Cabrera can play 2b defense even close to as well as Schoop does. Its a test. If he passes he will prove to be an asset at SS and 2B hopefully with a high OBP. This will make the O's stronger.

That is what I would like to do with Everth Cabrera. What are your thoughts?

The Orioles are in a bit of a dilema with Schoop. If he doesn't hit and is sent down will he be able to recover from the demotion. He's still young enough to bounce back I suppose but it will take awhile. I've been hoping that this year would be a break out year for him. It would mean a lot to the team. However, if after a hundred or so at bats this spring he is still struggling, I would support Cabrerra taking his place.

Cabrera was brought here to be insurance for Hardy.... If Hardy is on the DL Cabrera will be starting at SS. Flaherty will still have the UTIL role.

With injuries to Lough and Hardy - This really helps solve the roster crunch to begin the season and letting a few guys get some extra playing time will determine what happens when the starters return.

Schoop looks to have made some nice adjustments this spring (hitting the ball to RF and having better AB's in general). Buck loves Schoop. Cabrera undoubtedly will get some time at SS and 2B when Hardy comes back. Just not a lot, IMO. Cabrera has looked good offensively to me, even before last night although it was nice to see the power. If Cabrera plays enough to re-establish value he could be a trade chip at the end of the season to a team that needs a SS for one year.

Or Imagine if the Mets are in the playoff hunt! It would be like the 2004 Red Sox.

I have to admit, I thought signing Cabrera was a strange move, but he's won me over. Now with Hardy out I feel confident having a real shortstop to plug in rather than Flaherty for an extended period of time.

When JJ returns, if he's hitting, I think Cabrera gets 3 to 4 starts a week at ss, 2b, and DH.

I have to admit, I thought signing Cabrera was a strange move, but he's won me over. Now with Hardy out I feel confident having a real shortstop to plug in rather than Flaherty for an extended period of time.

When JJ returns, if he's hitting, I think Cabrera gets 3 to 4 starts a week at ss, 2b, and DH.

I think Cabrera was a risk, low cost risk, but needed insurance and if he plays well, then his upside is increased production for the team and thats not a bad thing, either.

Who leads off without him in the lineup?

He'll play SS while Hardy is out. When he comes back, if Cabrera has proven valuable in the leadoff spot but struggled on defense (the likely scenario) I could see him DHing and leading off with Schoop continuing to play 2B even if Schoop is struggling at the plate

Who leads off without him in the lineup?

He'll play SS while Hardy is out. When he comes back, if Cabrera has proven valuable in the leadoff spot but struggled on defense (the likely scenario) I could see him DHing and leading off with Schoop continuing to play 2B even if Schoop is struggling at the plate

Nolan, De Aza, Delmon, Pearce, Manny, Clevenger. Does not matter. Not one little bit. We had Nick there for goodness sake.

Archived