Chris Tillman Today 2015

Il BuonO

We've seen 3 good but not great outings, and three awful outings from Tillman so far -- including tonight. With all the baserunners he allowed he's very lucky he didn't give up more than 4 runs.

He needs to find a way to turn those awful outings into merely mediocre ones, and he'll be acceptable. First starter worthy? Not at all. But acceptable.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've seen 3 good but not great outings, and three awful outings from Tillman so far -- including tonight. With all the baserunners he allowed he's very lucky he didn't give up more than 4 runs.

He needs to find a way to turn those awful outings into merely mediocre ones, and he'll be acceptable. First starter worthy? Not at all. But acceptable.

I'm not sure he has had a single game this year where his performance was "good." He's just played a few games against the Rays. But his stuff has looked the same in every game.

o

20 OUTS: 7 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Thrown Out Trying to Go From 1st Base to 3rd Base on a Single

CHRIS TILLMAN O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 5/12)

IP:. 6,67

H:;; 9 (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 7 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB: 1 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 102 (70 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2015 ERA: 6.34

* Tillman also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 3 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

28 (21 Strikes, 7 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

18 (10 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Tillman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

He deserved much better than his line tonight. Command was better. Three of the nine hits he gave up were by Goins and included a bunt base hit to lead off an inning (which apparently caught Manny by surprise), a soft GB up the middle which should have been handled by Tillman, and a blooper down the LF line on a ball which he was jammed.

Far fewer hard hit balls until the 7th when the DP should have been made. He wasn't perfect but an improvement with FB command and both the CH and CU looked better except for the slider/CU he hung to Encarnacion.

He went through a stretch of complete sucktitude last year around this time as well. He'll probably snap out of it and have a decent year. He just is not an ace or even a strong #2 pitcher. Don't mind having him while he's cheap but please no talk about extending this guy.

Tell that to Duquette and Angelos.

He deserved much better than his line tonight. Command was better. Three of the nine hits he gave up were by Goins and included a bunt base hit to lead off an inning (which apparently caught Manny by surprise), a soft GB up the middle which should have been handled by Tillman, and a blooper down the LF line on a ball which he was jammed.

Far fewer hard hit balls until the 7th when the DP should have been made. He wasn't perfect but an improvement with FB command and both the CH and CU looked better except for the slider/CU he hung to Encarnacion.

Both of Bautista's would have been homers if he wasn't injured and could use both his arms. Tillman's line could have been A LOT worse.

Tell that to Duquette and Angelos.

Why bring this up? It's not an issue right now and even with his slight improvements today the results weren't favorable. Do you really think there's a possibility they're talking right now?

Both of Bautista's would have been homers if he wasn't injured and could use both his arms. Tillman's line could have been A LOT worse.

Bautista's first AB should have resulted in a SO on a perfectly thrown CB. And I said there were fewer hard hit balls not that there weren't any.

I didn't see the game until the top of 7th. He needs to make a better pitch to Donaldson. You don't throw a 3-0 heater to a good hitter like that. He was lucky Batista didn't hit a homer. Once again I did not see much of the game but in the 7th he didn't pick his defense up.

I didn't see the game until the top of 7th. He needs to make a better pitch to Donaldson. You don't throw a 3-0 heater to a good hitter like that. He was lucky Batista didn't hit a homer. Once again I did not see much of the game but in the 7th he didn't pick his defense up.

Buck probably should have called for the intentional walk to Donaldson once Tillman fell so far behind in the count. But Donaldson didn't hit the ball hard--it was a ground ball that found a hole.

I only watched the first two inning, but from the box score it looked like Tillman pitched OK through 6, then perhaps Buck left him in too long and then the bullpen and defense let him down. Were there any grounds for optimism from this game?

I only watched the first two inning, but from the box score it looked like Tillman pitched OK through 6, then perhaps Buck left him in too long and then the bullpen and defense let him down. Were there any grounds for optimism from this game?

His curve is still far too inconsistent, but when it was good, it seemed better than it has all year.

o

o

20 OUTS: 7 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Thrown Out Trying to Go From 1st Base to 3rd Base on a Single

CHRIS TILLMAN O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 5/12)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 9 (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 7 Singles)

R:O 5

BB: 1 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 102 (70 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2015 ERA: 6.34

* Tillman also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 3 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

28 (21 Strikes, 7 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

18 (10 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Tillman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

I think that Tillman did a reasonably good job, in spite of his underwhelming final line of 5 runs over 6.67 innings pitched.

If not for Machado's throwing error, he probably would have had a final line of 7 innings, 2 runs.

He was at only 84 pitches after 6 innings, and 60 of those 84 pitches were for strikes.

Also, his strikes-to-balls ratio was greatly improved from his previous start against the Yankees.

Against the Yankees on May 7th, Tillman threw: O Pitches: 110 (64 Strikes, 46 Balls)

Last night against the Blue Jays, Tillman threw: O. Pitches: 102 (70 Strikes, 32 Balls)

That's 69% of his pitches thrown for strikes.

Bautista's first AB should have resulted in a SO on a perfectly thrown CB. And I said there were fewer hard hit balls not that there weren't any.

That happens a lot during a game. Strikes that are called balls, balls that are called strikes. That doesn't mean you throw a meatball that needed the batter to be disabled to save you.

Archived