The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far this season the Nats have allowed 10 unearned runs, the Brewers and Yankees have allowed 9, and the Padres and A's have allowed 7.

Yes, other teams have more unearned runs than the O's. Most have more errors. The O's build their team around defense. Its part of the team win strategy.

I would think that errors are too?

Yes, but less so. Last year: 10, 16, 16, 22 (total for July/Aug.), 23. Also note that the errors and unearned runs don't always correlate well. 10 errors lead to 7 unearned runs last April, while 16 errors led to 2 unearned runs in May. That's why I feel unearned runs are very episodic.

As of now, I don't care when if ever Wieters returns. The guy is a solid ML C.

Probably should be a separate thread, but we have known about his defense. Now he is providing some offense (I know, small sample). I think we are looking at our starting C for the next few years.

Yes, but less so. Last year: 10, 16, 16, 22 (total for July/Aug.), 23. Also note that the errors and unearned runs don't always correlate well. 10 errors lead to 7 unearned runs last April, while 16 errors led to 2 unearned runs in May. That's why I feel unearned runs are very episodic.

Why are July and August together?

Its interesting. Errors in themselves are not as hurtful to the team as unearned runs. Though errors do prolong innings which is bad on pitchers. Unearned run can be the difference in winning or losing. Though that does not always happen.

A single unearned run last night did not cause a loss. Just a tighter game.

Its interesting. Errors in themselves are not as hurtful to the team as unearned runs. Though errors do prolong innings which is bad on pitchers. Unearned run can be the difference in winning or losing. Though that does not always happen.

At the end of the season, this team will be near the top of the defensive charts.

No use over worrying this early in the season.

I can't image how upset you would be, if you was a Nats fan with Desmond playing for you. :D

Because month-by-month team errors are not readily available, I keep track of them myself. In my "a look at the Orioles, by month" thread I usually would look on the last day of the month at the cumulative season-to-date error totals, then subtract out the total season-to-date errors from the previous month, to determine how many errors had been made that month. However, I didn't do this at the end of July, and so by the time I did it at the end of August I didn't know the July/August breakdown, I just knew we had 22 more errors by the end of August than we had at the end of June. Obviously, I could figure out the July split by going through all the July box scores, but I wasn't prepared to do that much work.

And the other big factor is that difficult plays are made or not made, that don't show up as errors if they aren't made and thus don't result in unearned runs. There were several good plays made last night that saved runs from scoring, but would not have been scored as errors if the play wasn't made. Overall I'd say last night was a "plus" defensive game despite De Aza's miscue.

And the other big factor is that difficult plays are made or not made, that don't show up as errors if they aren't made and thus don't result in unearned runs. There were several good plays made last night that saved runs from scoring, but would not have been scored as errors if the play wasn't made. Overall I'd say last night was a "plus" defensive game despite De Aza's miscue.

Thanks. I appreciate the effort.

I agree with the bold part. In fact Wieters has some big shoes to fill if he is going to take playing time away from Caleb.

Joseph is most likely the starting catcher for 2016.

When and if Matt comes back. Look for him to catch 3-4 games a week and be the starting catcher.

Again, just my opinion.

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/15)

Excellent catch by Adam Jones in centerfield today in the 8th inning with runners on 2nd and 3rd base.

It kept the Yankees at bay, and prevented a potential big inning for them.

Archived