The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/15)

Excellent catch by Adam Jones in centerfield today in the 8th inning with runners on 2nd and 3rd base.

It kept the Yankees at bay, and prevented a potential big inning for them.

What about the one he missed?

What about it?

I hadn't thought of it when I made my post, but you are free to talk about it and critique it if you'd like. That's what the thread is for.

Pretty much the same type of play Snider missed the other day. Misjudged it by taking a step in and then went over his head and off his glove. Of course he didn't get an error like Snider. Can't remember if it cost us runs or not though.

IMO that is the most difficult defensive play in the game: the line drive hit square at your head (or a few feet above) as an outfielder. It is almost impossible to get a read on how far it will carry. Even the best players in the game misjudge these balls occasionally.

As was stated before, our defense will be near the top of the league come October.

The radio guys thought it would have been a very difficult play to make the catch on the ball over Jones' head. They compared it to the Snider play. The way they presented it, they did not think an error was appropriate.

Didn't see or hear about the Lough play.

IMO that is the most difficult defensive play in the game: the line drive hit square at your head (or a few feet above) as an outfielder. It is almost impossible to get a read on how far it will carry. Even the best players in the game misjudge these balls occasionally.

As was stated before, our defense will be near the top of the league come October.

They are absolutely the hardest to judge. It's hard to judge how fast they are coming at you and where the ball is going to end up. If you take a wrong first step, you could easily end up missing it.

First, let me say that Jones' catch in LCF was one of the best I've ever seen him make. A great play especially under the circumstances. Second, are we talking about the Jacoby Ellsbury double that went over Jones' head? If so, he never touche the ball. Over his glove by a foot. Yes, there was some hesitation, which I think is normal for almost any outfielder. That initial "do I have to go in or go back". I think Snider took one step in whereas Jones just kind of hesitated a second before he broke back. I think Snider's was actually a tougher read based on it being more of a line drive and because it was a slice from a RH hitter. There are very few elite outfielders who always break the right way instantly on a line drive right at them. It usually takes a second to read it and by then it can be too late.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Palmer initially said Jones hesitated then did say you can see the "step in" when comparing it to Snider's play, but I honestly don't see a step in after watching it a couple times. Also, the ball is just over his glove not off it.

Jones has never won a FB award yet I thought he had his best defensive performance last year. I do agree he isn't up to the bar set by Lagares or Cain for that matter, but I can't for the life of me imagine why he's gone back to playing shallow. He had trouble with it early in his career and he's gone back to it. He's better at going right or left after a ball than he his going back on one.

I've heard JP mention it a few times but I'm surprised no one here has commented on it yet.

Archived