A lot to like tonight

Frobby

- Norris pitched a half decent game

- Brach was outstanding

- Manny and Schoop with the long ball (and I called Schoop's)

- Davis finally made some solid contact, though he also whiffed a couple of times.

- Jones made an outstanding catch in the gap

And we won a series with the Yankees.

It looks like Tommy's fastball is pretty "flat" right now. Little (if any) movement. Yes the velocity is there (96mph), but big-league hitters can hit that pitch if it lacks movement or isn't perfectly located. Tommy will eventually come around. Patience...

It's great to see Schoop getting off to a strong start. Yes, it's early, but he doesn't look overmatched up there anymore -- or, at least, not as much. If he keeps it up, he could be hitting in the heart of the lineup by mid-season.

Yes, it's about as good as it gets to see both Manny and Jonathan take walks and hit dingers on the same night. Both of these guys have 'controlled the strike zone' much better so far this year than I remember in the past. It's nice to have Cabrera up there forcing pitchers to actually pitch to them too.

- Norris pitched a half decent game

- Brach was outstanding

- Manny and Schoop with the long ball (and I called Schoop's)

- Davis finally made some solid contact, though he also whiffed a couple of times.

- Jones made an outstanding catch in the gap

And we won a series with the Yankees.

What, no 3-hit Joseph love? How about Delmon and with Snider, 3 hits out of the DH spot?

I remember saying, "Matt who???!!" when Joseph got those hits.

Joseph sure has been a pleasant surprise. He went through really good offensive stretches last year too though and also had some horrid stretches. Hopefully those horrid stretches are done with. He could be a very capable starting catcher for us until (if) Cisco is ready.

Joseph sure has been a pleasant surprise. He went through really good offensive stretches last year too though and also had some horrid stretches. Hopefully those horrid stretches are done with. He could be a very capable starting catcher for us until (if) Cisco is ready.

Unless Obrien comes up for a spell until Cisco is ready.

I was starting to get very nervous with Britton. He could not get the ball down last night as the inning went on. He got ahead of Ellsbury? 0-2 and the missed with 4 straight fastballs. Couldn't understand why they didn't go with the slider once or twice against the lefty.

Britton looked off his game. I'm glad that game didn't end in disaster. There is NOTHING I hate more than blowing a lead against the Yankees in the 9th inning, something we've done far too often over the years.

It looks like Tommy's fastball is pretty "flat" right now. Little (if any) movement. Yes the velocity is there (96mph), but big-league hitters can hit that pitch if it lacks movement or isn't perfectly located. Tommy will eventually come around. Patience...

Agreed, he'll come around. Right now he's leaving the ball up and out over the plate, and that "flat" fastball reminds me of what he was throwing in the first few months of last year, when he was trying to close games. Once he hits his spots and keeps the ball down, he should be fine. But until then, I'll white-knuckle it a bit whenever he comes into a tight game.

Archived