Everth Cabrera looking like an excellect pickup

Frobby

I am of the ilk that Flaherty goes down because of Cabrera's speed and versatility. He can do everything Flash does only a little bit better and with a little more versatility. Plus the speed dimension is huge late in games.

The harder question for me is Paredes or Lough. Paredes certainly looks like a better hitter than Lough and should we not keep him on the team, it is my opinion that he would be scooped by someone else in a heartbeat.

He would be a solid DH option who could pinch hit, provide Manny a few days off to rest the knees at third and possibly play first in a tight pinch although I doubt it would ever come to that with Pearce and Davis on the team.

But losing him is a dangerous proposition and while I like Lough, I think we can replace him with Cabrera in the outfield and our 4 other outfielders much more easily than we could find better organizational depth/pinch hitting than Paredes.

Paredes seems like a guy ready for a breakout season if he gets enough at bats, and with Davis still being a big question mark, we may need him to take some at bats from Chris as well.

Lough and Flaherty are the most likely to go down to AAA, plus they both have options right? That should make the choice a little easier.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, but we know at least one of Cabrera/Flaherty will be on the 25 man when the dust settles.

Of course. One guy without options will be gone unless there are more injuries. I see Cabrera and Paredes staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I predicted Snider to be a big disappointment and he has not been.

I like Snider a lot. I am sorry he lost a ball on Sunday, but he atoned with the 3 RBI homer. I suspect he will have a nice season with us. He fits well as a complement to Delmon Young. The 75 percent complement.

A few things.

A) Cabrera does not do everything Flaherty does. He doesn't play a credible 3B nor 1B. Flaherty does both.

B) I don't think that matters in this case. Flaherty will go down before Cabrera.

C) If we had a team full of 8 year olds, and therefore Paredes would be superior in the field to all of them, where would you play him? I can't see a position where he would fit full-time. (And) don't say DH. His bat isn't good enough to be a full-time career DH. So no matter how enticing his bat has been (last fall, this spring), if he doesn't project at a position then he won't be an Oriole.

Flaherty plays 2B, 3B, 1B, and COF in a pinch. He also hits for power. Cabrera does none of these tings so you really can't say he does every thing Flaherty does but better. It seems to me if you have Flaherty and Cabrera on the team, you have more things covered than if you have Cabrera and Lough.

I like Snider a lot. I am sorry he lost a ball on Sunday, but he atoned with the 3 RBI homer. I suspect he will have a nice season with us. He fits well as a complement to Delmon Young. The 75 percent complement.

Thorne is dumbing you down Michael.

I think Flash stays, since he plays plus defense and Cabrera is not a plus defender.

Buck loves his defense.

Cabrera looks like a fine defender to me, and his metrics have him well on the positive side, albeit nearly all at SS. The real thing Flaherty has over Cabrera is power (15 HR/162, vs 4).
Buck make a point of saying in ST, Cabrera needed to work on his defense.

That was shortly after Cabrera arrived, and was shaking off rust. The fact that Cabrera is playing SS on a nightly basis in Hardy's absence speaks volumes about Buck's opinion of who is the better defender at SS. Now, who is better equipped to play the other positions when called upon to do so is a different question. Flaherty has a lot more experience at getting moved around the infield than Cabrera does.

That was shortly after Cabrera arrived, and was shaking off rust. The fact that Cabrera is playing SS on a nightly basis in Hardy's absence speaks volumes about Buck's opinion of who is the better defender at SS. Now, who is better equipped to play the other positions when called upon to do so is a different question. Flaherty has a lot more experience at getting moved around the infield than Cabrera does.

Buck has hard roster decisions to make, and it sounds like Parmalee is crushing the ball in AAA.

Archived