Everth Cabrera looking like an excellect pickup

Frobby

I'm very happy with what Everth Cabrera has provided so far. His defense has been very solid and he looks okay at the plate, though I'd still much rather have Hardy out there. This looks to me like a very worthwhile pickup.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm very happy with what Everth Cabrera has provided so far. His defense has been very solid and he looks okay at the plate, though I'd still much rather have Hardy out there. This looks to me like a very worthwhile pickup.

Great insurance for Hardy. JJ was pretty injury-prone before he came here, and we've been blessed that he's stayed relatively healthy over his tenure here. Cabrera is a guy you can plug right in and not have to worry about at shortstop. I'm curious to see how much playing time he gets after Hardy gets back.

He has looked much better than he did in spring training. It will be interesting to see what the moves are once Hardy and Parades make it back. It wouldn't surprise me to see Parades traded for a draft pick or a minor leaguer (assuming no injuries to our current players).

I think it's becoming clear he will stick around after JJ comes back. De Aza and Cabrera at the top of the lineup last night was a real fire starter for the offense. Functionally two leadoff guys better than the team has had in a while at the top of the line up.

I like Flaherty, I think he has a future with this team. I think that future starts with him manning an every day position in AAA.

I think it's becoming clear he will stick around after JJ comes back. De Aza and Cabrera at the top of the lineup last night was a real fire starter for the offense. Functionally two leadoff guys better than the team has had in a while at the top of the line up.

I like Flaherty, I think he has a future with this team. I think that future starts with him manning an every day position in AAA.

Where do you play Cabrera, though?

I've been very happy so far, too. He's extremely athletic out there, nothing seems to fast for him, and he's got an absolute howitzer for a right arm. I think he's probably a bit better than Flaherty, but I also think Flash is a big Buck Guy, and probably is safe when JJ returns.

I've been very happy so far, too. He's extremely athletic out there, nothing seems to fast for him, and he's got an absolute howitzer for a right arm. I think he's probably a bit better than Flaherty, but I also think Flash is a big Buck Guy, and probably is safe when JJ returns.

Yeah. I agree. Flaherty's value is in that he can play every position pretty well defensively in the infield.

So...who goes? Do you send Cabrera to Norfolk?

I would send Cabrera to Norfolk when Hardy comes back and I would trade Parades for whatever I could if he is ready to come back and there is no room for him (no injuries).

The only other thing I might see happening is Lough being traded or DFA'd if Buck thinks that Cabrera can handle the outfield.

I would send Cabrera to Norfolk when Hardy comes back and I would trade Parades for whatever I could if he is ready to come back and there is no room for him (no injuries).

The only other thing I might see happening is Lough being traded or DFA'd if Buck thinks that Cabrera can handle the outfield.

If Cabrera can play the OF, he stays without a doubt. He's fast, has a great arm, and is super athletic, but can he track a fly ball like David Lough? That is the question.

If Cabrera can play the OF, he stays without a doubt. He's fast, has a great arm, and is super athletic, but can he track a fly ball like David Lough? That is the question.

True. But I'm sure he can play center field better than Lough can play shortstop :)

I'm going to guess since Cabrera is a switch hitter that Flaherty goes to AAA, which at this point looks fine. It's so nice to see good depth.

Paredes... it's going to be him vs. Lough. Without Lough, the Orioles still have five outfielders (De Aza, Jones, Pearce, Snider, Young) with four of them being capable defenders, and Young showing some speed this year. I really wish they could keep both of them though, for next year's team especially, which I anticipate will have no Chris Davis and Pearce playing full time 1B.

Archived