Playing in an empty stadium is a terrible decision

atomic

Without fans there is zero reason to play a game. This show continued incompetence by the Orioles. The Nationals say they were not asked about playing games at their stadium. There are numerous minor league stadiums and college stadiums where the game could have been played. They could have donated the proceeds to the people who were impacted by the riots.

This has never happened before as no one has been so short sighted before. NFL games move because of the snow. dodgers games moved due to their riots. They had plenty of notice.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still have a television audience. I have a feeling ratings might be higher than normal today.

And while I would like to know why other stadiums weren't considered, I am not going to label it incompetence on the part of the Os. Especially without knowing how much input Manfred had. Besides, as everyone should remember from the Ravens Opening Day fiasco a few years ago, the White Sox have to approve any change of venue or time change. So perhaps the Os aren't as I competent as you would hope.

Without fans there is zero reason to play a game. This show continued incompetence by the Orioles. The Nationals say they were not asked about playing games at their stadium. There are numerous minor league stadiums and college stadiums where the game could have been played. They could have donated the proceeds to the people who were impacted by the riots.

This has never happened before as no one has been so short sighted before. NFL games move because of the snow. dodgers games moved due to their riots. They had plenty of notice.

But at least it gave you a reason to complain about the Orioles. Congratulations.

Today is much less disappointing than this weekend. I do hope they can provide some insight as to why this weekend's games were moved down to Tampa rather than being played locally/regionally. A few years ago, Indians' games were played in Milwaukee. It's not like there aren't complications, but it can be done. It's just a shame, given the O's fan base stretches from southern PA to North Carolina, that they couldn't make the best of this situation by playing the games somewhere within their territory. I'm SURE there is a good reason (because I'm not saying anything they don't know), but just hoping they'll provide some insight on what led to this decision.

I suspect that no matter what decision they made, you would have had a complaint about it.

How do you really know the Nationals wasn't asked?

You don't, you know that somebody said they wasn't, that doesn't always mean it really happened.

If they played the game in a college or minor league stadium, do you asterisk the stats, since maybe a long fly ball was a home run there?

I am sure, this was not an easy decision for the team to make and keep in mind, MLB and the White Sox were involved with the discussion.

Yes, it sucks that the city was rioted and looted and will have an economic impact on the city for decades.

I suspect that no matter what decision they made, you would have had a complaint about it.

How do you really know the Nationals wasn't asked?

You don't, you know that somebody said they wasn't, that doesn't always mean it really happened.

If they played the game in a college or minor league stadium, do you asterisk the stats, since maybe a long fly ball was a home run there?

I am sure, this was not an easy decision for the team to make and keep in mind, MLB and the White Sox were involved with the discussion.

Yes, it sucks that the city was rioted and looted and will have an economic impact on the city for decades.

Actually this is the only decision I would have complained about. You know the one that no one has ever done before. As for TV everyone will be at work or school.

Actually this is the only decision I would have complained about. You know the one that no one has ever done before. As for TV everyone will be at work or school.

It's a shame you are inconvenienced, and will be unable to watch the game today.

Clearly the MD Stadium Authority, Orioles, White Sox, MLB, and high-ranking city officials should have consulted atomic before making such a decision.

As noted yesterday, there has been a couple of other MLB games in the league, where less than 600 people were in attendance.

As noted yesterday, there has been a couple of other MLB games in the league, where less than 600 people were in attendance.

600 isn't no one. And I don't those games they didn't let anyone watch them. There are more important things than baseball. If they can't play the game in front of a crowd just cancel it.

It's a shame you are inconvenienced, and will be unable to watch the game today.

Clearly the MD Stadium Authority, Orioles, White Sox, MLB, and high-ranking city officials should have consulted atomic before making such a decision.

It isn't inconviencing me. If they moved it to Frederick I wouldn't see the game either.

I agree with you from a charitable stand point. I think it would have been great to have the game in DC and donate proceeds to all the shops etc. that were affected by the riots in Baltimore. Don't know why that wasn't more strongly considered.

Archived