MASN: Free Agents

weams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think any of these folks could be on the team.

I may be wrong, but I bet only one of those will be a starter for us next year. I really think Davis is the most irreplaceable. Although, he strikes out too much; his power is hard to replace. But he will be PAID for it, but I don't think it will be us.

If Wieters wasn't a catcher, I might buy into teams being leary and not wanting to risk a contract and he ends up with a 1 year deal to prove himself.

However, with so many teams looking for good starting catching, it would not surprise me to see a team over spend for Wieters and take the risk.

If Wieters wasn't a catcher, I might buy into teams being leary and not wanting to risk a contract and he ends up with a 1 year deal to prove himself.

However, with so many teams looking for good starting catching, it would not surprise me to see a team over spend for Wieters and take the risk.

What is an overpay though? If I'm signing Wieters to a long term contract, I'm looking at the last time he played a full season (basically a replacement level player) and the fact that last year he was injured, and his age. So what am I projecting his production at to even "overpay"? If he ends up being say a .5 to 1 WAR player this year, to me even projecting him as a 2 WAR player going forward might be being generous. But if I'm Wieters, I'm not sure I think that is overpaying. I probably think that is underpaying.

What is an overpay though? If I'm signing Wieters to a long term contract' date=' I'm looking at the last time he played a full season (basically a replacement level player) and the fact that last year he was injured, and his age. So what am I projecting his production at to even "overpay"? If he ends up being say a .5 to 1 WAR player this year, to me even projecting him as a 2 WAR player going forward might be being generous. But if I'm Wieters, I'm not sure I think that is overpaying. I probably think that is underpaying.[/quote']

Keep in mind, when Boras is the agent, normal numbers are typically thrown out the door.

Teams will over pay for catching, look at the Marlins and DFA Salty after signing him for 3 years and 21 million.

Won't, don't want, won't, won't, don't want, don't want, maybe, don't want, don't want, don't want.

Just out of curiosity, don't want O'Day because of what he'll likely cost / not overpaying relievers, or would you want him back if he took a hometown discount for (let's say) 3 years?

Keep in mind, when Boras is the agent, normal numbers are typically thrown out the door.

Teams will over pay for catching, look at the Marlins and DFA Salty after signing him for 3 years and 21 million.

Right, with Boras there is an overpay. But there has to be a baseline to determine what the overpay is, otherwise we wouldn't know if it was an overpay. And with Wieters, I'm not sure where you start it at? The last time he played a full season, he was bad. Then he got hurt. I think Wieters and Boras would probably go to the table projecting out to be at least a 3 WAR player, and wanted you to overpay from that. But for teams, depending on how Matt does this year, 3 WAR is probably the overpay.

Right' date=' with Boras there is an overpay. But there has to be a baseline to determine what the overpay is, otherwise we wouldn't know if it was an overpay. And with Wieters, I'm not sure where you start it at? The last time he played a full season, he was bad. Then he got hurt. I think Wieters and Boras would probably go to the table projecting out to be at least a 3 WAR player, and wanted you to overpay from that. But for teams, depending on how Matt does this year, 3 WAR is probably the overpay.[/quote']

If you are Boras, you do SSS and push his 2011 and 2012 numbers and 4.9 and 3.5 and come up with 4.

Claim he wasn't healthy in 2013.

Just out of curiosity, don't want O'Day because of what he'll likely cost / not overpaying relievers, or would you want him back if he took a hometown discount for (let's say) 3 years?

First off let me clearly state that I have been very pleased with how his tenure with the O's has gone.

His age.

I have this theory, which might not be supportable, that pitchers are better off changing divisions/leagues every few years as the unbalanced schedule leads to hitters becoming overly familiar with them.

I don't like paying for relief pitchers.

They have a replacement handy in Givens.

I like to have a multitude of guys with options in the bullpen.

The O's could easily have 3-4 guys with options earning the league minimum in the pen next year.

Now is there a contract I would sign O'Day to? Sure there is. But he is the team's union rep and I don't see him accepting what I would offer.

First off let me clearly state that I have been very pleased with how his tenure with the O's has gone.

His age.

I have this theory, which might not be supportable, that pitchers are better off changing divisions/leagues every few years as the unbalanced schedule leads to hitters becoming overly familiar with them.

I don't like paying for relief pitchers.

They have a replacement handy in Givens.

I like to have a multitude of guys with options in the bullpen.

The O's could easily have 3-4 guys with options earning the league minimum in the pen next year.

Now is there a contract I would sign O'Day to? Sure there is. But he is the team's union rep and I don't see him accepting what I would offer.

Nice post, and you make some good points.

I only concern is the part about replacement handy in Givens. Is he major league pitcher for sure? He could end up being more like Matusz.

Nice post, and you make some good points.

I only concern is the part about replacement handy in Givens. Is he major league pitcher for sure? He could end up being more like Matusz.

Mautz is a pretty serviceable relief pitcher. Especially at the league min for three years.

Mautz is a pretty serviceable relief pitcher. Especially at the league min for three years.

Sorry was not trying to dig at Brian and I agree very serviceable.

However, O'Day has been more lights out, and you can't expect a prospect to preform as well.

Sorry was not trying to dig at Brian and I agree very serviceable.

However, O'Day has been more lights out, and you can't expect a prospect to preform as well.

I would expect a small dip in performance in year one. But the added flexability and lower finicial cost should make up for it. The performance gap should close in the ensuing years.

Archived