HHP: MASN/Nats/Orioles case (Inside the Courtroom)

Frobby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it. Do they charge you for that channel?

In 2006,when MASN first came on the seen.Comcast said it was charging subscribers $2.00 extra to cover the RSN.Not sure what it is now.I know people did not like it who were not sports fans.I saw that the Dodger network adds about $5.00 to their cable bill Not really fair to non sports fans.I guess cable will one day have a pay for what you like channels.

Angelos' wealth is almost entirely Orioles and Orioles related equity. He is one of the poorer owners.

He runs a great business and a lousy baseball team. I guess the difference between many posters and myself is that I care about the team. I don't care about the business.

He runs a great business and a lousy baseball team. I guess the difference between many posters and myself is that I care about the team. I don't care about the business.

So, you're the rebel among us all.

The maverick, making a courageous stand for love of the Baltimore Orioles :skeletor: ...... as opposed to "many other posters" on the OH who don't care about the team, but who are primarily concerned with the finances of the team owner and his family.

This is a good candidate for George Carlin's Famous Bull**** Stories.

No, I think you are just like everyone else.

Nah, I think most of us realize that neglecting or abusing the business side is a great way to have an uncompetitive baseball team. You just don't find many cases of a team constantly running in the red, being heavily subsidized by a wealthy benefactor, but still in contention all the time. If the business is succeeding the team probably will, too. And the other side of that is the fact that Angelos certainly would make more money off the team if they were in the playoffs every year.

I'm sure Clevelanders hate their owner, too. Everyone does when their owner doesn't run the team as a loss-leader for their own personal enjoyment and ego.

Yeah but you're not supposed to buy a baseball team to make money. The taxpayers don't make any money when they finance new ballparks or when the Maryland Stadium Authority operates at a loss every year.

Yeah but you're not supposed to buy a baseball team to make money. The taxpayers don't make any money when they finance new ballparks or when the Maryland Stadium Authority operates at a loss every year.

Yes you are.

As for the taxpayers, they need to blame their legislators, not the owners.

http://www.mdstad.com/pdf/ARFY14_Site.pdf

I do not believe any of the sales tax and income tax generated by the team and go to the general fund are included in this report.

So who's enforcing that? Did anyone tell the owners? Do you think Bud or Manfred pre-briefed prospective owners on that before they're approved? I think it was more along the lines of "we'll show you some accounting tricks to make it look like you're barely breaking even, and if you hang out long enough you'll get to cash out big on growth in franchise value."

So who's enforcing that? Did anyone tell the owners? Do you think Bud or Manfred pre-briefed prospective owners on that before they're approved? I think it was more along the lines of "we'll show you some accounting tricks to make it look like you're barely breaking even, and if you hang out long enough you'll get to cash out big on growth in franchise value."

For me, I like the owners like Mark Cuban, they made their wealth and their sports club ownership, is their hobby, their love and they don't dictate decision necessary on the ledger accounting sheet, like you would a normal business.

Again, look at the Mavs.

Worth 1,115 Million.

168 Million in Revenue

13 Million was their profit

Truly, if this was operated as a true business, you would see a higher profit margin.

For me, I like the owners like Mark Cuban, they made their wealth and their sports club ownership, is their hobby, their love and they don't dictate decision necessary on the ledger accounting sheet, like you would a normal business.

Again, look at the Mavs.

Worth 1,115 Million.

168 Million in Revenue

13 Million was their profit

Truly, if this was operated as a true business, you would see a higher profit margin.

So a listed profit margin of 7.8% denotes a hobby for you?

Archived