vs. WHITE SOX, 5/28 (Game One)

OFFNY

For the record, I am a high level college ump who has worked 15 ACC tournaments. And yes often times myself and other umpires will get into it with a player if they are totally shown up like that.

Grats, but again, you are an ump and your job is to enforce the rules and not get involved in on field antics. Just as Manny throwing the bat down is unprofessional and bush league.. so is an ump purposefully getting in the face of the player and then running his mouth after the fact. You want respect on the field and that's counterproductive to it.

I'm assuming you've never umpired a game before behind the dish but you can tell if somebody swings like Manny did. He broke the plane it was clear to see in live time for me.

No, I actually played the game in the Big Ten (had offers to ACC and PAC-10 schools) and I can tell you as a hitter for a HP ump to make a call to see if the bat head went past that magical line is impossible. It's a guess and it always is behind the plate. A HP umps view is behind the catcher and the hitter and 4 to 5 feet behind the plate. Depth perception comes into play so you may have seen that swing that way but it's not always the case.

To talk like you have a clue about umpiring is a total joke. Then again your baseball knowledge on here leaves a lot to be desired.

No, umps who claim you can be 1000% certain, let alone 100% certain that a batter broke that magical line when it takes less then 7/10ths of seconds from start movement to be in the zone, are the joke here. All the while you are tracking a ball into the zone to see if it's a ball or strike. But I am sure you are gonna claim you can do both despite the fact that would only leave you about 2/10ths of a second to make a call on a check swing after the ball reaches past the zone. So yes, it's guessing game and that's all it is. It's why there has to be help from 1st or 3rd.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived