Selig's salary

blueberryale77

Not really surprised.

However his compensation package is less than 1/4th of 1 percent of baseball's 2007 revenue. Actually, when you compare Selig's salary to other CEO's of billion dollar companies, he is pretty damn cheap. (queue obligatory "you get what you pay for" joke.)

Seems like a conflict of interest to pay someone that much when they have the power to cover up things like, I don't know, steroid use. Especially since his salary no doubt depends on the popularity of the game. He should get paid like the President of the US with some perks, but that's about all.

Seems like a conflict of interest to pay someone that much when they have the power to cover up things like, I don't know, steroid use. Especially since his salary no doubt depends on the popularity of the game. He should get paid like the President of the US with some perks, but that's about all.

To paraquote Babe Ruth, "He had a better year than President of the US."

Just out of curiosity, what do the commissioners of the NFL and NBA make? I imagine that Selig's salary is very roughly comparable to theirs.

We know that most baseball managers make less than their star players, and most coaches make little more than the ML players minimum, but I wonder how many baseball general managers make more than their field managers do?

Just out of curiosity, what do the commissioners of the NFL and NBA make? I imagine that Selig's salary is very roughly comparable to theirs.

We know that most baseball managers make less than their star players, and most coaches make little more than the ML players minimum, but I wonder how many baseball general managers make more than their field managers do?

Goodell is making about $11.2 million annually: http://www.cnbc.com/id/23353673 or maybe a little bit more now.

I don't know what Stern is making now, but he was the highest paid commissioner in the early 90s at $3.5 million, so he is probably way up there now. He is probably over $20M, and 30 wouldn't shock me.

I guess this really shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but MLB tax returns reveal that Bud Selig received about $14.5 million in compensation in 2006. That's more than any player on the Orioles made. Comments?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlkVqVKNJquvxemizedyL_kRvLYF?slug=ap-selig-pay&prov=ap&type=lgns

I don't see what that would have to do with anything.

He has a lot more responsibilities on his plate than any Oriole player does.

As a percentage of MLB revenue it appears pretty low. Under his watch, MLB has seen a lot of revenue growth. Maybe his pay is tied to that.

If he (or any CEO) can get the board to agree to a compensation plan- then more power to them. Just like if a player can get a team to give them a big contract.

I have no problem with either player or CEO making money that is tied to company/team performance goals.

I gotta disagree with you here, the guy is basically the CEO of 6 Billion dollar company, and like I said earlier as far as billion dollar company CEO's go, Selig is relatively cheap.

In regards his conflict of interest, you can basically apply that to every CEO of every publicly traded company in the world. All CEO's have the power to cover up and/or hide things from the shareholders, and like Selig the truth usually comes out.

For all of Selig's faults (And he has alot) MLB has increased revenues almost 500% since 1992 and MLB is close to matching the NFL money machine.

MLB is close to matching the NFL money machine.

Not according to Forbes. Link

The NFL is still the richest sports league in the world (the average team is worth $957 million, 7% more than last year) as well as the most profitable (mean operating income in 2006 was $17.8 million on $204 million in revenue).

But Selig still earned his money. Link2

Three years ago, the 30 Major League Baseball (MLB) teams posted an operating loss (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of $57 million. Last season, they earned a record $496 million. ... The New York Yankees led the league with attendance [in 2006] (the fourth consecutive year the Bronx Bombers have done so) with 4.2 million, followed by the Los Angeles Dodgers (3.8 million), New York Mets (3.4 million) and St. Louis Cardinals (3.4 million).

Only the Yankees are worth more than the average NFL franchise. In fact, the average NFL franchise was worth over $200M more than the 2nd most valuable MLB franchise in 2006. Link3

Since baseball owners won't open their books, the Forbes estimates have to be taken with a grain or two of salt, but they're still the best data we have.

I was looking for another Forbes article which stated that the average NFL team has an "operating income" of 16 percent of revenues, compared to 4 or 5 percent for the NBA and MLB, but I couldn't find it.

Goodell is making about $11.2 million annually: http://www.cnbc.com/id/23353673 or maybe a little bit more now.

I don't know what Stern is making now, but he was the highest paid commissioner in the early 90s at $3.5 million, so he is probably way up there now. He is probably over $20M, and 30 wouldn't shock me.

Fun fact: The NFL is actually a non-profit and exempt from the corporate income tax because it falls under IRC s. 501©(6). Or at least it was in 2005 and I can't see why they would have stopped claiming this exemption.

I can't say the same thing for the teams.

EDIT: Also, Tagliabue only made $5.7M in 2005.

Not according to Forbes. Link

But Selig still earned his money. Link2

Only the Yankees are worth more than the average NFL franchise. In fact, the average NFL franchise was worth over $200M more than the 2nd most valuable MLB franchise in 2006. Link3

Since baseball owners won't open their books, the Forbes estimates have to be taken with a grain or two of salt, but they're still the best data we have.

I was looking for another Forbes article which stated that the average NFL team has an "operating income" of 16 percent of revenues, compared to 4 or 5 percent for the NBA and MLB, but I couldn't find it.

I was speaking in terms of just revenue.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/25/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

Archived