Someone tell Joe Angel we can hear the obscure facts!

psychboy12

If anyone listens to home radio broadcasts, the pressbox announcer clearly states these obscure facts (i.e. "That was Chris Davis' 7th HR to Eutaw Street, most by any player") before Angel does. Cracks me up to hear him add his flavoring like he's discovered the cure for indigestion!

If anyone listens to home radio broadcasts, the pressbox announcer clearly states these obscure facts (i.e. "That was Chris Davis' 7th HR to Eutaw Street, most by any player") before Angel does. Cracks me up to hear him add his flavoring like he's discovered the cure for indigestion!
Ha! I thought the same exact thing when I was listening that night. I think it was about Manny's 5th multi-homer game of his career and 3 were from this season. He basically repeated word for word the announcer that time.

And they also usually at some point during the game, they give kudos for what ever tidbit they get told about such and such.

That's been the case since the late 70s or early 80s. When I was a kid I thought it was some kind of magic insight to know what Phil Iztoe (IIRC) was feeding the annoncers before they announced it.

They get a whole lot of information for the game. if you ever sit in the club level and go to the desk in the middle you can get a copy of the press notes.. They don't always have this or run out. It has tons of information. What a batter does on counts or hitting at this or that park. Plenty of information for the broadcasters. The notes for the playoff games were about 50 pages.

That's been the case since the late 70s or early 80s. When I was a kid I thought it was some kind of magic insight to know what Phil Iztoe (IIRC) was feeding the annoncers before they announced it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell doing the same thing way back when. You'd hear the crackly voice of the announcer in the background - sometimes unable to make out his full message - and then Chuck or Bill would explain it clearly and concisely.

Gotta love Joe Angel, though. I was listening to him during the 19-3 game on Tuesday night, and he dug deep into his OJ Simpson/high school football stories to keep us listeners awake. He's a master...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell doing the same thing way back when. You'd hear the crackly voice of the announcer in the background - sometimes unable to make out his full message - and then Chuck or Bill would explain it clearly and concisely.

Gotta love Joe Angel, though. I was listening to him during the 19-3 game on Tuesday night, and he dug deep into his OJ Simpson/high school football stories to keep us listeners awake. He's a master...

Yeah, I was wondering where and how long he was going to go with that OJ stuff!

I wonder why this information is not piped into their headsets.

Not really. They are in sound-isolated booths that are separate from the other media.

How do you sound insulate a booth that has open windows in the front and the announcers are right next to each other.

In fact, a few weeks ago Gary was laughing hysterically because the other team's announcer was yelling at him to keep it down.

Joe and Fred were talking about it last night when Casy (the producer) gave them the 4th inning promo and it was the 3rd inning. As Joe said, they are just trained monkeys, they will repeat whatever comes in front of them. :laughlol:

How do you sound insulate a booth that has open windows in the front and the announcers are right next to each other.

In fact, a few weeks ago Gary was laughing hysterically because the other team's announcer was yelling at him to keep it down.

Heck Manfred almost got hit with a foulball a couple of weeks ago, I think was Boston maybe.

I wrote sound isolated, not sound proof. You don't hear those announcements on the TV broadcast do you? It's ok, I have heard them for the forty or so years of listening to the radio guys and it does not bother me. I am surprised they have not switched to an instant messaging system by now.

Archived