Someone tell Joe Angel we can hear the obscure facts!

psychboy12

I wrote sound isolated, not sound proof. You don't hear those announcements on the TV broadcast do you? It's ok, I have heard them for the forty or so years of listening to the radio guys and it does not bother me. I am surprised they have not switched to an instant messaging system by now.

Takes their eyes off the game/field and the action

Sorry, but I'm not following your logic.

1) The announcements are only made in-between plays.

2) I am sure they spend a lot of time looking at their computer displays and press notes.

3) They probably have to jot down the announcements before reading them.

I'm glad that it's come down to complaining about hearing the obscure facts in the background of the radio broadcast. Maybe one day things will improve so much that we start debating Buck's haircut (that's really far down on my list).

Winning Team. CHECK.

Organization that has a direction. CHECK.

Spring Training facility that is not a laughing stock. CHECK.

Some type of statue to commemorate our Hall of Famers. CHECK.

Bring back "Baltimore" on the away jerseys. CHECK.

Bring back the cartoon bird. CHECK.

Convert the press box obscure facts to a instant message system. WORK IN PROGRESS

Relegate Dempsey to only speak when spoken to. WORK IN PROGRESS

Not really. They are in sound-isolated booths that are separate from the other media.

The booths are isolated, but they're connected to the same PA system as the regular press box. The announcements that come into their booth (which you're hearing in the background) are the ones that are made to the entire media -- writers, etc.

Great posts but I don't think we were complaining, just trying to understand why the practice continues in this day and age of modern technology. There are many more important things to worry about. I just hope I see this in my lifetime again:

World Championship. (CHECK)

Great posts but I don't think we were complaining, just trying to understand why the practice continues in this day and age of modern technology. There are many more important things to worry about. I just hope I see this in my lifetime again:

World Championship. (CHECK)

I don't really think it's old-fashioned to make a public announcement over the loudspeaker. That's the quickest and easiest way to make sure everyone in the press box gets the information.

The PA system extends throughout the press box -- not just the main area where the writers sit and the individual broadcast booths, but also the cafeteria, the hallways, etc. So even media members who aren't in their seats can hear it.

Setting up an instant messaging system would be needlessly complicated.

i'm glad that it's come down to complaining about hearing the obscure facts in the background of the radio broadcast. Maybe one day things will improve so much that we start debating buck's haircut (that's really far down on my list).

Winning team. Check.

Organization that has a direction. Check.

Spring training facility that is not a laughing stock. Check.

Some type of statue to commemorate our hall of famers. Check.

Bring back "baltimore" on the away jerseys. Check.

Bring back the cartoon bird. Check.

Convert the press box obscure facts to a instant message system. Work in progress

relegate dempsey to only speak when spoken to. Work in progress

post of the week

Not that complicated. AOL did it 20 years ago. I've never heard this kind of thing on radio broadcasts in any other sport. The media could get the info on their computers and/or phone. So, they might even know who's warming in the bullpen when they are in the restroom.

Archived