Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

He knows exactly who he wants but Hendry has not said yes yet. Why is that so hard to believe. He said as much in the Bedard deal. His quote was, "we agreed to the first three names quickly, the last 2 took forever." The same thing is going on here.

Where is the evidence of that. I would argue that based on media reports I would say that that is in no way or a fact or evidence. If you do know who you want or whom was listed can I have a link please?

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He knows exactly who he wants but Hendry has not said yes yet. Why is that so hard to believe. He said as much in the Bedard deal. His quote was, "we agreed to the first three names quickly, the last 2 took forever." The same thing is going on here.
It is AM saying he is do his do diligence in scouting these players not Hendry.

Just read on RotoWorld:

Cubs optioned RHP Sean Gallagher and RHP Jose Ascanio to Triple-A Iowa; reassigned OF Josh Kroeger to minor league camp.

Gallagher hopefully won't be needed as a reliever this year after struggling when thrown into the bullpen last season. He's probably eighth on the SP depth chart. Ascanio gave up six runs in nine innings.

Where is the evidence of that. I would argue that based on media reports I would say that that is in no way or a fact or evidence. If you do know who you want or whom was listed can I have a link please?

WHAT? Why is it hard to believe that AM knows the group he wants and the Cubs have not agreed. Just because Gordon Wittenmyer or someone reports something does not make it true. He held out with Bedard until he was comfortable and will do the same with Roberts. If not BROB will be running down the orange carpet on OD. What else is AM supposed to do, agree to a deal to make the Cus and their fans happy.

I read somewhere that the Cubs were mad because Wittenmeyer said they offered Ceda. The claim was they have not. Supposedly they have only offered 3 names, Cedeno, Gallagher and Veal. That is not enough. Why aren't the Cubs at fault for taking so long to put a fair offer on the table?

It is AM saying he is do his do diligence in scouting these players not Hendry.

That still does not mean that he is pleased with the offer on the table. I can scout Pie, Colvin, Ceda and like them all I want, if you do not want to move them, then what good does it do me. I am sure AM has a list of names from Hendry that can be included. If they are not the names he wants, then it does not matter.

Jim Bowden said his trade for MIllidge took about 6 months from the first discussions with the Mets...but no one else knew about it. The fact that the Bedard thing became a circus is not necessarily on AM.

Great point. The Orioles are a easy target and the media, always makes them the fall guy. Bowden is very media friendly so him taking 6 months is him being persistent while it is AM not knowing what he wants.

WHAT? Why is it hard to believe that AM knows the group he wants and the Cubs have not agreed. Just because Gordon Wittenmyer or someone reports something does not make it true. He held out with Bedard until he was comfortable and will do the same with Roberts. If not BROB will be running down the orange carpet on OD. What else is AM supposed to do, agree to a deal to make the Cus and their fans happy.

I read somewhere that the Cubs were mad because Wittenmeyer said they offered Ceda. The claim was they have not. Supposedly they have only offered 3 names, Cedeno, Gallagher and Veal. That is not enough. Why aren't the Cubs at fault for taking so long to put a fair offer on the table?

Once again where has it ever been suggested anywhere that the Orioles have settled on names? I am not just talking about Wittenmyer I am talking about Cubs sources who have also said the Orioles have not said anything. You arent reading what I am saying correctly.

Secondly I would say that Gallagher Veal and Cedeno is fair.. That is just my opinion.

Thirdly its obvious that this is not on our end. Yalls scouts are still evaluating our minor league prospects

Here is my opinion what is going on.. Hendry has said McPhail this is what we have to offer you you can take this many or that many prospects. However if you take guy X then you cant have guy y and z. I suspect there is a deadline of monday or tuesday out there and if nothing works itself out we might just see a Jay Payton deal. Which would be fine with me.

I respect what McPhail has done here in trying to upgrade the club but I tend to agree with Dave that this could potentially harm his ability to broker deals with other clubs.

It's pretty widely understood that several teams/GMs either try hard to avoid dealing with Scott Boras, or just flat out refuse to consider any player he represents. In fact the O's themselves were in this category until just recently.

When Chuck LaMar was GM of the DRays, he also gained a reputation as being a guy that some other GMs just don't bother with.

Obviously what's being speculated here is that MacPhail has put himself at risk of being categorized similarly within the industry.

Personally I think it's more accurate to say that MacPhail is simply reinforcing the long-existing reputation the O's organization has gathered over many years -- dysfunctional, meddlesome owner, difficult to deal with, etc.

Many felt MacPhail would come in and put an end to all of that, but from where I'm sitting anyway, it seems the opposite is true. All of the same old whispers are being heard once again.

I think you are pouting a little bit here Dave. MacPail has no reason to give Roberts away from anything less than what he thinks he can get for him. Considering the Cubs reportedly are not offering impact players (Cedeno can't even make the team as a utility guy and may have to move to 3B where his bat does not play as well and we have a lot of Gallaghers already), I don't see any reason why MacPhail has to move Roberts.

Roberts is very well liked here and on top of it, I can see him being productive player for another six plus years with his type of game.

I never really felt the Cubs were a great fit for us and I'm not sure we are a good fit for you guys either.

I don't see how we look dysfunctional in this at all though. We want a certain asking price, the Cubs don't want to part with it, both sides move on.

However, if I'm the Cubs and I think Roberts puts us over the edge, then I certainly include a guy like Pie. If I don't, then I keep him, pure and simple.

I think you are pouting a little bit here Dave. MacPail has no reason to give Roberts away from anything less than what he thinks he can get for him. Considering the Cubs reportedly are not offering impact players (Cedeno can't even make the team as a utility guy and may have to move to 3B where his bat does not play as well and we have a lot of Gallaghers already), I don't see any reason why MacPhail has to move Roberts.

Roberts is very well liked here and on top of it, I can see him being productive player for another six plus years with his type of game.

I never really felt the Cubs were a great fit for us and I'm not sure we are a good fit for you guys either.

I don't see how we look dysfunctional in this at all though. We want a certain asking price, the Cubs don't want to part with it, both sides move on.

However, if I'm the Cubs and I think Roberts puts us over the edge, then I certainly include a guy like Pie. If I don't, then I keep him, pure and simple.

1. To the first bolded statement I agree with you on that. I think that yall dont look dysfunctional but extremely concerned with improving the club

2. As far as the second part, unless Roberts could play Center Field that would not help the Cubs. It would leave the CUbs without a CF.

Once again where has it ever been suggested anywhere that the Orioles have settled on names? I am not just talking about Wittenmyer I am talking about Cubs sources who have also said the Orioles have not said anything. You arent reading what I am saying correctly.

Secondly I would say that Gallagher Veal and Cedeno is fair.. That is just my opinion.

Thirdly its obvious that this is not on our end. Yalls scouts are still evaluating our minor league prospects

Here is my opinion what is going on.. Hendry has said McPhail this is what we have to offer you you can take this many or that many prospects. However if you take guy X then you cant have guy y and z. I suspect there is a deadline of monday or tuesday out there and if nothing works itself out we might just see a Jay Payton deal. Which would be fine with me.

I respect what McPhail has done here in trying to upgrade the club but I tend to agree with Dave that this could potentially harm his ability to broker deals with other clubs.

The first part assumes one gigantic aspect of this deal: that every little detail about the deal has been reported. That's silly.

The second part is not obvious. It's what you think. Just because there are O's scouts watching the Cubs doesn't mean it's the O's FO which is tardy. It just means they're watching.

The third part is so completely faulty. If Hendry sets parameters that don't suit AM, then it's not an issue of fault or incompetence, as much as it is that the deal just won't work.

The first part assumes one gigantic aspect of this deal: that every little detail about the deal has been reported. That's silly.

The second part is not obvious. It's what you think. Just because there are O's scouts watching the Cubs doesn't mean it's the O's FO which is tardy. It just means they're watching.

The third part is so completely faulty. If Hendry sets parameters that don't suit AM, then it's not an issue of fault or incompetence, as much as it is that the deal just won't work.

I agreed that i dont think yall are incompetent. I have said nothing but complimentary things about the way yall are doing things for your organization.

Secondly Obviously not evrything has been reported but from what has been reported it is in your hands and that yall have not settled. That is the fact of what has been reported. You can disagree with the published reports but then you are speculating moreso than I am.

Jsut my opinion :)

Just read on RotoWorld:

Cubs optioned RHP Sean Gallagher and RHP Jose Ascanio to Triple-A Iowa; reassigned OF Josh Kroeger to minor league camp.

Gallagher hopefully won't be needed as a reliever this year after struggling when thrown into the bullpen last season. He's probably eighth on the SP depth chart. Ascanio gave up six runs in nine innings.

So you have Hart ahead of him?

When they trade Marquis he will be 7th.

Archived