Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

Not to be a jerk, but this thread had gone on for 30 pages without too much new info. Any real "Roberts to Cubs" news will get its own thread, or 10. Not like anything's being missed in this one any more.

Good point. Its a shame, the thread title is pretty good.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, he does--and has.

PGA came riding into ownership on a white-horse, saying and doing the right things...

1) He got a large group of locals to partner in buying the team--pretty much squashing the grumblings that the team may be looking to move.

2) He immediately started pumping money into the team--Gillick, Davey Johnson, Roberto Alomar, Raffy, Jimmy Key, David Wells...

3) He refused to play scabs.

He seemed like a dream owner.

Now, this has turned into disaster, and the bad far outweighs the good. But Angelos was a savior when he first arrived--people forget that...

Well, I hear what you are saying, but I don't think it's the same thing. If he had a personal favorite back then, do you think he would have still traded him if it was in the best interests of the team?

That's a far cry from the FINALIZED as was reported on this site.

Hey, I'm just telling you what was reported by a Cubs "insider." And BTW, the trade was never listed as finalized on this site. You can check the archive for yourself.

Hey, I'm just telling you what was reported by a Cubs "insider." And BTW, the trade was never listed as finalized on this site. You can check the archive for yourself.

Roberts Trade Denied by Orioles

By: Tony Pente 1/9/2008

Several sources have indicated that the trade of All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts to the Cubs has been finalized. However, the Orioles have denied this rumor and have called it "inaccurate."

The early reports indicated that the Orioles would get back 22-year old right-hander pitching prospect Sean Gallagher, 25-year old left-handed starting pitcher Sean Marshall, and 24-year old shortstop Ronny Cedeno.

Latest Update (10:45 PM): The Orioles continue to deny this report and as of 10:45 PM no announcement has been made. Although our sources were solid, there is certainly a possibility the players in return could be different or that the deal was not as "final" as we were told.

There is a lot of traction to this story, but Andy MacPhail is playing his cards very closely on this one. I still believe the basis of the story, but the players reported in the trade coming back may be different.

I think we'll see a resolution to this shortly, but it may not be in the time we'd all like to see.

More to come as it develops.....

Yea, these Cubs fans are beyond clueless....PA has given the ok to deal BRob probably in part because BRob would like to be traded and has likely expressed that Angelos himself.

AM is waiting for the deal he wants. At this point, both teams should know where the other stands so some kind of resolution should be made and should have been made by now.

I agree Angelos has nothing to do with this. If he did dont you think AM would have taken Roberts off the trading block.

Roberts Trade Denied by Orioles

By: Tony Pente 1/9/2008

Several sources have indicated that the trade of All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts to the Cubs has been finalized. However, the Orioles have denied this rumor and have called it "inaccurate."

The early reports indicated that the Orioles would get back 22-year old right-hander pitching prospect Sean Gallagher, 25-year old left-handed starting pitcher Sean Marshall, and 24-year old shortstop Ronny Cedeno.

Latest Update (10:45 PM): The Orioles continue to deny this report and as of 10:45 PM no announcement has been made. Although our sources were solid, there is certainly a possibility the players in return could be different or that the deal was not as "final" as we were told.

There is a lot of traction to this story, but Andy MacPhail is playing his cards very closely on this one. I still believe the basis of the story, but the players reported in the trade coming back may be different.

I think we'll see a resolution to this shortly, but it may not be in the time we'd all like to see.

More to come as it develops.....

Tony said that several sources have reported the trade as finalized. He didn't say anything about his site.

I agree Angelos has nothing to do with this. If he did dont you think AM would have taken Roberts off the trading block.

The reports were not that PGA wouldn't trade Roberts, they were just that he wasn't happy with what the O's were getting back in return. So if PGA was telling AM that he could trade Roberts but only if he got a king's ransom back for him, then no, AM would not take him off the block, he'd leave him on and hope to get such a ransom regardless of whether or not AM thought it was a fair price.

If a team is going to overpay, then why not. IMHO I think that's more likely what's going on.

LOL...You keep avoiding the question.

WHY IS HENDRY STILL TALKING TO US IF THINGS ARE SO BAD?!

Why do many people still feel this will be a done deal, including our beat writers who have said that this week?

Answer those questions.

Nobody is avoiding the question. You just haven't gotten the answer you want to hear. It's a pretty neat trick and I'm sure you have some convinced.

BECAUSE HENDRY IS PROBABLY TALKING TO NEARLY EVERY GM IN THE GAME ABOUT RIGHT NOW. I thought I'd use caps for that since you did. Apparently points are made stronger, or more true, if caps are used instead. Good to know.

I think the number of people who feel the deal will get done is evenly split. So, I ask you, why do many people feel the deal will not get done? That's right. They're all wrong and have no clue. You're the only person who has a clue. Got it.

I'd say "answer those questions" but I couldn't care less what you have to say.

Here's what we really do know:

The teams have been talking for several months. No deal has been reached. Obviously there is still an issue or, you know, the two teams would have come to an agreement.

I'm not saying this is the case because I don't know, but in the past Angelos has gotten in the way of trading Brian Roberts so it's just plain silly to ignore that possibility. I'm sure you'll do so anyway so you can protect your beloved general manager.

It's also silly to sit here and say that Angelos is the problem when nobody knows. And who cares if he is the problem? It doesn't matter one bit if the problem is Angelos, Hendry, MacPhail or God. The results are the same.

Mostly, it's just ridiculous to sit here and talk about this for four months as if you have any clue what is going on. The ESPN message boards pass along more accurate information than this site does. If you want to believe the words of a few around here who clearly have no clue what is going on, so be it. I just ask that you not sit here and act as though you know anything when you obviously don't.

Acting as though you know something doesn't make you look smart. It makes you look ignorant and I must say, if that has been your goal all along, well done.

Tony said that several sources have reported the trade as finalized. He didn't say anything about his site.

Listen, with respect to Peace's request of getting back on topic, I'll just say that I completely disagree with that logic, and move on.

Yep and this is why the Cubs fans are clueless...PA has nothing to do with this.

If a deal doesn't get done it is because Hendry wouldn't meet AM's demands or vice versa....It has nothing to do with Angelos.

Please don't lump all Cubs fans together. I am one Cub fan that believes AM wouldn't of taken the job if Angelos didn't give him full control.

Archived