Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happy Easter, bud. Honestly, I think I would. I might press for an additional player from the Cubs (someone like Cedeno or EPatt), but I'd probably pull the trigger on a deal for Pie alone.

Here's hoping that doesn't fetch me too much negative rep. :eek::D

I doubt anyone would neg rep you for having an opinion, even if it is a misguided one. :D

Pie, Cedeno, and Gallagher for Roberts and Payton works for me. If the Cubs acquire Crisp or Matthews, Payton would still make sense for them, since he can backup at CF. If AM can get Ceda, Veal, Patterson, or Marshall included in the deal as well, I'd write in his name in the Presidential election! :)

If the Cubs trade Marquis to Boston, I can't see them wanting to spend $5M on Payton. They can find cheaper backups.

I don't think $5M is an issue to the Cubs. I believe that the whole idea for them is to make a push to have a shot at the NL pennant this year. Their concern isn't so much cheaper backups as it is better backups.

Payton is actually a very good ML backup outfielder. He is decent offensively and can backup all three outfield spots very well. Payton thinks of himself as a starter, but I'm thinking that he is now growing to accept that he really is a good 4th ML outfielder at this point in his career.

I'm not sure how you can say it is inaccurate to say that the Orioles don't need to trade Roberts and will only do so if offered a quality package that they believe will be a positive step in their rebuilding. McPhail said after the Bedard trade that any trade now will be for quality over quantity, since we have received the quantity we sought in the Tejada and Bedard trades, and everything he has said and done since has supported this. There is no doubt that the Cubs have made offers for Roberts. If the Orioles needed and wanted to trade Roberts, they most certainly would have. The Orioles are rebuilding and, as such, are willing to move Roberts for the right pieces in that effort. They are most certainly not trading him to the highest bidder no matter what. The quality must be there or no deal. Everything that has happened supports this. Nothing about the facts supports your statement.

There's a big difference in what you wrote (O's needed and wanted to trade Roberts) and what I wrote (O's need or want to trade Roberts). My point is that McPhail has better things to do than to "negotiate" a trade for a player that he doesn't need or want to trade when the other team hasn't offered the quality he wants. Obviously, McPhail is still talking because he either wants or feels the need to trade Roberts to continue the rebuilding process.

There's a big difference in what you wrote (O's needed and wanted to trade Roberts) and what I wrote (O's need or want to trade Roberts). My point is that McPhail has better things to do than to "negotiate" a trade for a player that he doesn't need or want to trade when the other team hasn't offered the quality he wants. Obviously, McPhail is still talking because he either wants or feels the need to trade Roberts to continue the rebuilding process.

What is your point? Considering player personnel moves is a big part of McPhail's job. What "better things" does he have to do? He is keeping the door open and listening to offers. If the Cubs make an offer that AM feels will be a good one for the Orioles' rebuilding effort, he will accept it. If not, he won't. The Cubs have made offers. Roberts has not been traded. You can argue and/or all you want, or concern yourself with semantics if you wish, but the facts speak for themselves.

I don't think $5M is an issue to the Cubs. I believe that the whole idea for them is to make a push to have a shot at the NL pennant this year. Their concern isn't so much cheaper backups as it is better backups.

I hope you are right. I read where the Cubs could not acquire Roberts and Crisp because of payroll. Getting rid of Marquis would help that situation, but if they were that tight on payroll I would think that paying $5M for Payton would be an issue.

I hope you are right. I read where the Cubs could not acquire Roberts and Crisp because of payroll. Getting rid of Marquis would help that situation, but if they were that tight on payroll I would think that paying $5M for Payton would be an issue.

Payton is pretty much last on their last and more of a if necessary (to get the trade through) and if no one else option. His cost would definitely be an issue and they'd want cash or to move Marquis's contract but they aren't paying ~$10M for Crisp/Payton.

Archived