What to do with Bud Norris?

Nevermore

What should O's management do with Bud Norris?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should O's management do with Bud Norris?

• Leave him in the bullpen -- he could pitch mop-up or long relief
    • Return him to the rotation -- his "bulldog" mentality can help the team down the stretch
    • Release him, DFA him -- we need the roster spot more than we need him
    • Other (including DLing him). Please explain

This is a poll where folks can vote and discuss what to do with Bud Norris for the rest of the year. Should he stay in the bullpen? Should he go back to the rotation (and who would you put off the rotation if Bud returns there)? Or should he be released (DFA'd)?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go with the opposite of most of the responses here. Like the previous get rid of UJ, bag of balls Arietta, Tillman an ace, offense will not be a problem. This game is too fickle to predict. Guys throw mid 90's lose, guys throw mid 80's win. Guys that can hit the ball 450, can't bunt the ball 45 feet for a hit. Every player frustrates me at times and give joy at times. I try to remember they are just human beings and trying their best.

I know it won't happen anytime soon, but I voted DFA. Try to work a trade out with someone. If you're going to keep him in the pen, there seems to be options within the organization (Wilson, Drake) that could get you the same production or even better that Norris would give you.

I know it won't happen anytime soon, but I voted DFA. Try to work a trade out with someone. If you're going to keep him in the pen, there seems to be options within the organization (Wilson, Drake) that could get you the same production or even better that Norris would give you.

I think his contract of 8.8 is a bit high for GMs to take a chance on, as a reclamation project.

if they do DFA him, I suspect there will be several teams going after him, and see if they can straighten him out for a 2016 SP slot somewhere.

I think his contract of 8.8 is a bit high for GMs to take a chance on, as a reclamation project.

if they do DFA him, I suspect there will be several teams going after him, and see if they can straighten him out for a 2016 SP slot somewhere.

His contract is about 4.4 M now, and he's a FA. so forget about 2016.

That doesn't change what I said, a GM might look at him as a future SP, and sign him to a contract, in hopes of fixing whatever ails him this season, and getting him ready for 2016.
Of course it does. He's no longer an 8 M expense and if you DFA him he's still a FA next year. Why would a GM want to rehab him so he can go back on the market? Any GM that picked up Norris this year and signed him to an extension, would be fired immediately.

That doesn't change what I said, a GM might look at him as a future SP, and sign him to a contract, in hopes of fixing whatever ails him this season, and getting him ready for 2016.

But they would need to extend him, since he's a FA in 2016.

But they would need to extend him, since he's a FA in 2016.

I understand that.

If he is released, then he gets paid by the Oriole, the full amount of his contract.

He is then free to sign a new deal with any team.

if that deal is low enough, I can see a GM pick him up and try and see if they can get something going.

Maybe I am just all wet in my thinking, hell, it would not be the first time.

I understand that.

If he is released, then he gets paid by the Oriole, the full amount of his contract.

He is then free to sign a new deal with any team.

if that deal is low enough, I can see a GM pick him up and try and see if they can get something going.

Maybe I am just all wet in my thinking, hell, it would not be the first time.

Right; I think it comes down to a team trying to get him to sign a one year extension, which would give that team a year of cheap production and Norris an organization committed to him for 1.5 years to help reestablish his value for one more solid multi-year deal. I don't think that's crazy at all.

Archived