What to do with Bud Norris?

Nevermore

What should O's management do with Bud Norris?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should O's management do with Bud Norris?

• Leave him in the bullpen -- he could pitch mop-up or long relief
    • Return him to the rotation -- his "bulldog" mentality can help the team down the stretch
    • Release him, DFA him -- we need the roster spot more than we need him
    • Other (including DLing him). Please explain

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about everyone, including the team, stops talking about him. Then about a week after the All-Star break just replace his name on the 25 and 40 man rosters and see if anyone notices.

Fix the glitch?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F4eCd6xUSik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or Ubaldo II. Or Pedro Strop II. Totally unpitchable until they're good again. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bud Norris throw 150 innings of a 3.75 next year for somebody. Or have 30 saves.

Yeah, but do you want him losing games for the second half of the year on the 2015 Orioles?

Cut bait. Don't care if he pitches well for somebody else next year. We were never going to resign him.

Yeah, but do you want him losing games for the second half of the year on the 2015 Orioles?

Cut bait. Don't care if he pitches well for somebody else next year. We were never going to resign him.

No, I don't. Which is why I'm all in favor of creative solutions to keeping him under team control until his contract expires but without the burden of having to watch him pitch until we're sure he's fixed. My Nottingham Forest idea was joking, but... well... something like that. Isn't that what Duquette does?

No, I don't. Which is why I'm all in favor of creative solutions to keeping him under team control until his contract expires but without the burden of having to watch him pitch until we're sure he's fixed. My Nottingham Forest idea was joking, but... well... something like that. Isn't that what Duquette does?

I was thinking he should just take a trip to the Cubs minor league system for a month "accidentally" then rejoin the O's in time (hopefully) for the playoffs. He should remember how to pitch there.

This is a poll where folks can vote and discuss what to do with Bud Norris for the rest of the year. Should he stay in the bullpen? Should he go back to the rotation (and who would you put off the rotation if Bud returns there)? Or should he be released (DFA'd)?

I voted to leave him in the BP.

i would just repeat what the orioles did with Jim?nez last season and hope bud gets rid of the cobwebs.

It's not the same situation, or anything close. We'd signed Ubaldo for several seasons and had to straighten him out, we didn't have a choice. Norris isn't signed further out than the end of the year. We're not obligated to him, and have zero chance of getting the value back of what we paid him... he's only hurting the team. Time to cut ties.

i would just repeat what the orioles did with Jim?nez last season and hope bud gets rid of the cobwebs.
Except that Ubaldo was under contract for 3 more years. Whereas Bud is a pending FA. It took all of August, plus September, plus most of the winter and through ST to get Ubaldo to where he is now. Unless we sign Bud to a minor league deal after this season, then some other team will have to figure him out.

It's not the same situation, or anything close. We'd signed Ubaldo for several seasons and had to straighten him out, we didn't have a choice. Norris isn't signed further out than the end of the year. We're not obligated to him, and have zero chance of getting the value back of what we paid him... he's only hurting the team. Time to cut ties.
Let some other team figure out what his problems are and let them fix him.

However, remember that Wallace and Chiti have a secret formula for fixing pitchers. It worked for Ubaldo, and it can work for others. But we'll never, EVER give out that secret formula. Not on pain of the worst torture. :D

Archived