What to do with Bud Norris?

Nevermore

What should O's management do with Bud Norris?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should O's management do with Bud Norris?

• Leave him in the bullpen -- he could pitch mop-up or long relief
    • Return him to the rotation -- his "bulldog" mentality can help the team down the stretch
    • Release him, DFA him -- we need the roster spot more than we need him
    • Other (including DLing him). Please explain

I don't think there's anything wrong with Norris' arm or his stuff per se. I think he's just lost confidence. He would probably do fine in low-leverage situations, but give him a tie game or a small lead to protect and he'll lose just enough command to lose the game.

The problem is that there aren't enough low-leverage innings to justify a roster spot. Sooner or later, you need everyone in the bullpen to be able to come into a tie game or to protect a small lead. And there is no way that the team can trust Norris in a game situation right now.

If he were under team control for another season or more, I'd say keep him and ride it out. But he's gone after this season anyway, and he probably needs an offseason or a change of scenery to get his head screwed back on right. The risk of him losing more games is not worth the potential reward of him snapping out of it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I go with the opposite of most of the responses here. Like the previous get rid of UJ, bag of balls Arietta, Tillman an ace, offense will not be a problem. This game is too fickle to predict. Guys throw mid 90's lose, guys throw mid 80's win. Guys that can hit the ball 450, can't bunt the ball 45 feet for a hit. Every player frustrates me at times and give joy at times. I try to remember they are just human beings and trying their best.

I'm sure Bud is trying very hard. That means absolutely nothing.

He's not getting the job done. Get rid of him.

I'm voting DFA because I doubt anyone picks him up given his price tag. This is the best chance to get to AAA where he can work through is troubles.

Unless they can find a way to DL him for awhile, that would be fine too.

In soccer you can work out deals with other teams where you loan the player out, the other team often pays much of his salary, but he's still under your control. I propose loaning Bud to Nottingham Forest until such time as he fixes whatever is wrong or his contract ends.

We have a forest fan here. The Barnfather might be upset by hat arrangement.

I voted to keep in the pen. For now, he shouldn't be in high leverage situations. Let him pitch in low leverage situations while he works his problems out. He might be able to work in long relief later in the season when he could be useful.

We have a forest fan here. The Barnfather might be upset by hat arrangement.

When it came time to randomly select a lower-division soccer team to send Bud, my choice may not have been that random just for that reason. Well, not to upset Barnfeather, but I know I'd appreciate a shout out to some obscure team I root for.

I be honest I really don't know what to do with Bud, and I don't think the the O's know either.

My guess it they ride him out and make no offer at the eoy or make a qualifing offer he won't take any way.

You don't offer 1/17 deals to pitchers with 7.00 ERAs. Not when they're likely to take a 1/4 kind of deal to re-establish their value. No QO. No one has taken a team up on one yet, but Bud would.

I be honest I really don't know what to do with Bud, and I don't think the the O's know either.

My guess it they ride him out and make no offer at the eoy or make a qualifing offer he won't take any way.

What? Do you understand how a qualifying offer works?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You don't offer 1/17 deals to pitchers with 7.00 ERAs. Not when they're likely to take a 1/4 kind of deal to re-establish their value. No QO. No one has taken a team up on one yet, but Bud would.

No argument from me I just threw it out there and I agree it's HIGHLY likely he gets NO offer.

Archived