Parmelee - I am not buying it

wildcard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His whole career, including this season, points to him being a replacement level player. At 27, there is no reason to value this guy.

If Parmalee has any value at all it tells me the valuation system isn't much. To me he is worthless. Ryan Flaherty could provide more value playing first base and that is sad.

What does Parm bring to the table that Pearce doesn't (besides being LH). Both are COF/1B types that are not hitting well. The only difference is that Pearce actually has a solid year of production under his belt and is a little more versatile.

(Im talking about production here, not future contract situations. I know Parm has multiple years left of team control and Pearce is an upcoming free agent)

I have no idea if he'll be claimed or not. Over the years, I've been wrong as often as I've been right in guessing which DFA's will be picked up.

I'm completely agnostic on Parmelee. I like his defense at 1B, and he's also an adequate corner OF from what I've seen. His .264 OBP is a big disappointment and his .471 SLG is probably not sustainable. As between him, Snider, Pearce, Reimold and Lough -- well, ZZZZZZZZ....... None of them, nor De Aza and Young, have done well enough for me to want to see them in the lineup on a regular basis, nor have they done so badly that I've been clamoring for them to be DFA. I think Duquette was hoping that at least 1 or 2 of those would have a good season, but nobody's really come through. If one of them gets DFA'd today, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Yep it doesn't matter to me either... NONE of them are the LONG term answers at the corners.

AND JMHO but I feel when AJ asked to be buyers the corners are where he wants THE HELP. ;)

Roch writes:

I don't see that is true for Parmelee. He was put through waivers on March 29th 2014 and no one claimed him. He was put through waivers on December 23, 2014 and no one claimed him.

He probably will pass through waivers because he has not done anything in the majors to get claimed.

If the O's offer to DFA'd him and send him to Norfolk for a month with the promise to bring him back in September when rosters expand, he would be a fool not to take it. No other team has shown the interest in Parmelee that the O's have shown.

Oh, by the way. Delmon has not signed with anyone as far as I know. And he has a major league track record. Wesley Wright is still in limbo and must be passed through waivers by the 24th. So other teams are not always clamoriing to get players the O's DFA.

Parmalee- why take an offer like that? If he is waived and not picked up, couldn't the O's sign him to a minor league deal?

Young- why not offer him a minor league deal as well? I'm no so confident the O's have 3 OFs at Norfolk ready to fill in when called upon.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Thank you. I knew there was something bogus about that post. I saw Cal play SS. And Gunnar is no Cal at SS. Not even close. And this is coming from a big fan of Gunnar. I would like to see him play a traditional power position. Call me old fashioned. He’s hurting the team at SS. 
    • Interesting.  We live in a data obsessed world now but it's not the answer to everything.  There should be a mix.  
    • Tobias Myers for the brewers tonight: 6 innings 4H -1ER 1BB 11 Ks. not bad at all!
    • I doubt solid MLB pitchers can be acquired just by trading position players the vast majority of the time.  Look at how we acquired Bradish and Povich -- by trading solid (at the time anyway) MLB level pitchers.  In those trades we were on the other end, but we forced teams to trade good young pitchers for Bundy and Lopez respectively.  Now we did acquire McDermott and Seth Johnson by trading Trey Mancini.  So it does happen that pitching can sometimes be acquired trading only a position player, but Mancini had had a strong major league career to that point.  My point is I don't think you can expect to acquire pitching only by trading position players -- but if you can it may need to be a strong veteran that is not easy to part with. Perhaps we could acquire Tarik Skubal for just Jackson Holliday -- or Holliday plus one or two other strong position prospects.  But that would be a whole other level of a blockbuster trade. Also, I'm not sure how we can say the system is bereft of homegrown minor league pitching talent and then complain that we traded Baumeister and Chace -- two homegrown minor league pitchers that everyone here seems to agree are talented.  We can criticize the trade, but clearly there was and probably still are some desirable arms in the system that we'd rather not trade.  No, none of the ones Elias drafted have made it to the bigs yet, but maybe those two would have been among the first.    
    • Seth Johnson on the Phillies' "philosophy": Orioles are data driven, Phillies are more "old school". I don't get much out of this but it's a data point. https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/mlb/philadelphia-phillies/seth-johnson-mlb-debut-phillies-orioles-trade/613582/ “I think the big thing is that Baltimore is very data-based,” he said. “Here’s a nice blend of the numbers and baseball strategy. Kind of old school. And I’ve been really enjoying it so far. For me, it’s kind of simplified everything. Concentrating on basic concepts like moving the fastball around. Not worrying about pitch shapes all the time. Just going out here and trying to pitch.”
    • If we have room, why wouldn't we add Pham and Van Loon just to have available depth in AAA (whether or not they are at risk of being taken)? 
    • I think Young will be added, and that is it. I like Pham, but no AAA experience makes him unlikely to be taken. Whatever open spots should be used to upgrade the bullpen and other pitching depth. It is well documented here that we don’t have much beyond raw guys like Strowd and Heid. we lack flexibility and options. This has to change. 
  • Popular Contributors