Parmelee - I am not buying it

wildcard

Roch writes:

The Orioles are convinced that any player who hits the waiver wire will be claimed by another team.

I don't see that is true for Parmelee. He was put through waivers on March 29th 2014 and no one claimed him. He was put through waivers on December 23, 2014 and no one claimed him.

He probably will pass through waivers because he has not done anything in the majors to get claimed.

If the O's offer to DFA'd him and send him to Norfolk for a month with the promise to bring him back in September when rosters expand, he would be a fool not to take it. No other team has shown the interest in Parmelee that the O's have shown.

Oh, by the way. Delmon has not signed with anyone as far as I know. And he has a major league track record. Wesley Wright is still in limbo and must be passed through waivers by the 24th. So other teams are not always clamoriing to get players the O's DFA.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roch writes:

I don't see that is true for Parmelee. He was put through waivers on March 29th 2014 and no one claimed him. He was put through waivers on December 23, 2014 and no one claimed him.

He probably will pass through waivers because he has not done anything in the majors to get claimed.

If the O's offer to DFA'd him and send him to Norfolk for a month with the promise to bring him back in September when rosters expand, he would be a fool not to take it. No other team has shown the interest in Parmelee that the O's have shown.

Oh, by the way. Delmon has not signed with anyone as far as I know. And he has a major league track record. Wesley Wright is still in limbo and must be passed through waivers by the 24th. So other teams are not always clamoriing to get players the O's DFA.

Pittsburgh would start Parmelee the day after they claimed him.

So you don't think that Delmon is coming back under an agreement? I do.

I have no idea if he'll be claimed or not. Over the years, I've been wrong as often as I've been right in guessing which DFA's will be picked up.

I'm completely agnostic on Parmelee. I like his defense at 1B, and he's also an adequate corner OF from what I've seen. His .264 OBP is a big disappointment and his .471 SLG is probably not sustainable. As between him, Snider, Pearce, Reimold and Lough -- well, ZZZZZZZZ....... None of them, nor De Aza and Young, have done well enough for me to want to see them in the lineup on a regular basis, nor have they done so badly that I've been clamoring for them to be DFA. I think Duquette was hoping that at least 1 or 2 of those would have a good season, but nobody's really come through. If one of them gets DFA'd today, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I have no idea if he'll be claimed or not. Over the years, I've been wrong as often as I've been right in guessing which DFA's will be picked up.

I'm completely agnostic on Parmelee. I like his defense at 1B, and he's also an adequate corner OF from what I've seen. His .264 OBP is a big disappointment and his .471 SLG is probably not sustainable. As between him, Snider, Pearce, Reimold and Lough -- well, ZZZZZZZZ....... None of them, nor De Aza and Young, have done well enough for me to want to see them in the lineup on a regular basis, nor have they done so badly that I've been clamoring for them to be DFA. I think Duquette was hoping that at least 1 or 2 of those would have a good season, but nobody's really come through. If one of them gets DFA'd today, I won't lose any sleep over it.

It's arguable that the loss of DeAza and Young and the addition of Parmelee and Reimold has been a detriment.

It's arguable that the loss of DeAza and Young and the addition of Parmelee and Reimold has been a detriment.

I don't believe its arguable very much.

DeAza production here was poor and he was making mistakes on the bases and in the OF.

Pretty much all the media folks had it figured out that the O's was going to let a Left handed go, because of the scheduling for the rest of the season.

Pearce did more for them, then Young, so there you go.

I don't. I think they are very happy with Ishikawa, a player that plays very good defense and with whom the pirates have familiarity with. Parma Lee would not supplant him and cannot defensively supplant Morel.

I disagree. But then, that is why we have this place.

I don't. I think they are very happy with Ishikawa, a player that plays very good defense and with whom the pirates have familiarity with. Parma Lee would not supplant him and cannot defensively supplant Morel.

Pirates are looking for a right-handed bat or two.

Which Chris isn't.

Wut? Young is a terrible baseball player. He had a walk rate of 2.2% which is beyond atrocious, his power had fallen off the cliff and he's a butcher in the field. There's a reason no team has picked him up after the Orioles released him. As for De Aza, he only seems to perform well after a change of scenery. He hit .329 his first season with the White Sox before he wore out his act there and he lit it up here initially before tanking in his second season. If the Red Sox bring him back next year, he'll probably put up replacement level numbers and eventually get run of town there as well.

As for De Aza, he only seems to perform well after a change of scenery. .

Perhaps we should get him back and enter a deal with a NL club to swap him back and forth throughout the year so he always has a nice change of scenery :)

Seriously, will be interesting to see what happens roster-wise. I think it says it all when there are no likely deals made which will upset me too much. Perhaps with the exception of Davis going....

His whole career, including this season, points to him being a replacement level player. At 27, there is no reason to value this guy.

Which is what Drungo and others tried to caution some of the crowd that was getting caught up in the hype. Enjoy it while it lasts, but, the stats don't lie.

Archived