Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah.

We see him that way. No one else does. He's had a cup of coffee, some decent minor league numbers, is strictly a middle reliever, and is going through a positional reboot. How that lands you an impact bat, I have no idea. It's a stupid tweet, period. It's lazy and doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Kevin Gausman

"or"

Mychal Givens

What does that even mean?

The postition switch was weeks ago Charlie Murphy. Givens is a stud.

Duq needs to take advantage and strike...you will never see this many names available IMO

@Buster_ESPN: A flush market of outfielders now includes Cespedes, along with J. Upton, Parra, Venable, others.

DD is got to be just sitting there rubbing his hands together. This market has worked out perfectly for us. These teams will be desperate as all get out come 1pm on the 31st. #ParraandLindthenwewin

DD is got to be just sitting there rubbing his hands together. This market has worked out perfectly for us. These teams will be desperate as all get out come 1pm on the 31st. #ParraandLindthenwewin

I'm with you. Good choices!

@jaysonst: As this story explains, #Tigers also listening on Alex Avila, Alfredo Simon, Rajai Davis, along with Price, Cespedes http://t.co/W4e672A3gA

I'm with you. Good choices!

@jaysonst: As this story explains, #Tigers also listening on Alex Avila, Alfredo Simon, Rajai Davis, along with Price, Cespedes http://t.co/W4e672A3gA

It just keeps getting better. Detroit could be the gift that just keeps on giving. Flooding the market and selling of their whole team, all while we have a 4 game series with them starting tomorrow.

It just keeps getting better. Detroit could be the gift that just keeps on giving. Flooding the market and selling of their whole team, all while we have a 4 game series with them starting tomorrow.

For sure, not only did they hand TB a loss after 6 perfect innings from archer but they also decided to sell lol

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Indians">@Indians</a> acquire LHP Jayson Aquino from <a href="https://twitter.com/Pirates">@Pirates</a> for cash.</p>— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) <a href="

">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He might be a stud. He definitely isn't a prospect anymore. He has great numbers and projects to be a setup man, I agree. But he's not cracking on prospect lists or anything.

I think he's awesome and I would rather trade a guy like Wright or Bundy before Givens, to be perfectly and weirdly honest. I just don't think other teams value him like that.

You're not really just going straight by prospect lists still, are you? I'll take Givens. You can have Nick Castellanos.

No.

He was the guy that would repost Twitter information in under 30 seconds.

If he was online I wouldn't even bother trying to post stuff from Twitter.

Why isn't he on the board anymore, that guy was super quick with the updates? I never bothered looking on twitter, I just came here and saw all of them.

He might be a stud. He definitely isn't a prospect anymore. He has great numbers and projects to be a setup man, I agree. But he's not cracking on prospect lists or anything.

I think he's awesome and I would rather trade a guy like Wright or Bundy before Givens, to be perfectly and weirdly honest. I just don't think other teams value him like that.

Good on you for revising your opinion of his ceiling and season.

I don't think any of us think that Givens would be a huge get for a team. I would value him over a QO pick, which to me, is the minimum starting point when talking about any of these rentals.

Even if we don't get any of the Detroit guys, their rotation will be in shambles if they trade Price and Simon. Right now we're looking at

Simon

Farmer

Sanchez

Price

Hopefully they trade Simon and Price and have to scramble for starters to replace them. Should be an easy 3 outta 4.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The same thing was happening was MacDonald was the DC and when Wink was the DC, that makes me put most of the blame on Harbaugh 
    • dWAR is just the run value for defense added with the defensive adjustment.  Corner OF spots have a -7.5 run adjustment, while CF has a +2.5 adjustment over 150 games.    Since Cowser played both CF and the corners they pro-rate his time at each to calculate his defensive adjustment. 
    • Just to be clear, though, fWAR also includes a substantial adjustment for position, including a negative one for Cowser.  For a clearer example on that front, as the chart posted higher on this page indicates, Carlos Santana had a +14 OAA — which is the source data that fWAR’s defensive component is based on. That 14 outs above average equates to 11-12 (they use different values on this for some reason) runs better than the average 1B.  So does Santana have a 12.0 defensive value, per fWAR? He does not. That’s because they adjust his defensive value downward to reflect that he’s playing a less difficult/valuable position. In this case, that adjustment comes out to -11.0 runs, as you can see here:   So despite apparently having a bona fide Gold Glove season, Santana’s Fielding Runs value (FanGraphs’ equivalent to dWAR) is barely above average, at 1.1 runs.    Any good WAR calculation is going to adjust for position. Being a good 1B just isn’t worth as much as being an average SS or catcher. Just as being a good LF isn’t worth as much as being an average CF. Every outfielder can play LF — only the best outfielders can play CF.  Where the nuance/context shows up here is with Cowser’s unique situation. Playing LF in OPACY, with all that ground to cover, is not the same as playing LF at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. Treating Cowser’s “position” as equivalent to Tyler O’Neill’s, for example, is not fair. The degree of difficulty is much, much higher at OPACY’s LF, and so the adjustment seems out of whack for him. That’s the one place where I’d say the bWAR value is “unfair” to Cowser.
    • Wait a second here, the reason he's -0.1 in bb-ref dwar is because they're using drs to track his defensive run value.  He's worth 6.6 runs in defense according to fangraphs, which includes adjustments for position, which would give him a fangraphs defensive war of +0.7.
    • A little funny to have provided descriptions of the hits (“weak” single; “500 foot” HR). FIP doesn’t care about any of that either, so it’s kind of an odd thing to add in an effort to make ERA look bad.  Come in, strike out the first hitter, then give up three 108 MPH rocket doubles off the wall. FIP thinks you were absolutely outstanding, and it’s a shame your pathetic defense and/or sheer bad luck let you down. Next time you’ll (probably) get the outcomes you deserve. They’re both flawed. So is xFIP. So is SIERA. So is RA/9. So is WPA. So is xERA. None of them are perfect measures of how a pitcher’s actual performance was, because there’s way too much context and too many variables for any one metric to really encompass.  But when I’m thinking about awards, for me at least, it ends up having to be about the actual outcomes. I don’t really care what a hitter’s xWOBA is when I’m thinking about MVP, and the same is true for pitchers. Did you get the outs? Did the runs score? That’s the “value” that translates to the scoreboard and, ultimately, to the standings. So I think the B-R side of it is more sensible for awards.  I definitely take into account the types of factors that you (and other pitching fWAR advocates) reference as flaws. So if a guy plays in front of a particular bad defense or had a particularly high percentage of inherited runners score, I’d absolutely adjust my take to incorporate that info. And I also 100% go to Fangraphs first when I’m trying to figure out which pitchers we should acquire (i.e., for forward looking purposes).  But I just can’t bring myself say that my Cy Young is just whichever guy had the best ratio of Ks to BBs to HRs over a threshold number of innings. As @Frobby said, it just distills out too much of what actually happened.
    • We were all a lot younger in 2005.  No one wanted to believe Canseco cause he’s a smarmy guy. Like I said, he was the only one telling the truth. It wasn’t a leap of faith to see McGwire up there and Sosa up there and think “yeah, those guys were juicing” but then suddenly look at Raffy and think he was completely innocent.  It’s a sad story. The guy should be in Hall of Fame yet 500 homers and 3,000 hits are gone like a fart in the wind cause his legacy is wagging his finger and thinking he couldn’t get caught.  Don’t fly too close to the sun.  
    • I think if we get the fun sprinkler loving Gunnar that was in the dugout yesterday, I don’t think we have to worry about him pressing. He seemed loose and feeling good with the other guys he was with, like Kremer.
  • Popular Contributors