Pies?

Braydog 9

Apologies if this has already been discussed on here and I know it's not very important compared to the concerns regarding that awful sweep the team just had (what were they thinking?) but did Adam eschew the pie to the face bit. I noticed that neither Davis (on Tuesday) nor Tilman (last night) got pied during their interviews (it might have stopped a while back but this is the first I paid attention).

I'm indifferent but my nephew loves it so I was just curious.

It's my understanding that veterans are excluded from this charade for the most part. I know Davis got one earlier this year, but it seems for the most part it only happens to younger players or guys who have not been on the team for multiple years.

It's my understanding that veterans are excluded from this charade for the most part. I know Davis got one earlier this year, but it seems for the most part it only happens to younger players or guys who have not been on the team for multiple years.

Exactly.

You don't pie guys like JJ... or Tillman... I don't think you pie Crush normally ---- with his struggles the past 2 years, I think AJ was just keeping it light and trying to make the game fun again for him.

In my opinion, coming off a division championship, the team kind of expects to win. It's in poor taste to celebrate wins when we are playing .500 baseball. As a result, it has for good reason been a down year for pies. We are starting to play better. Another big win or two I think you will start to see more pies.

Exactly.

You don't pie guys like JJ... or Tillman... I don't think you pie Crush normally ---- with his struggles the past 2 years, I think AJ was just keeping it light and trying to make the game fun again for him.

Yeah, I kind of thought that (especially with Davis) but also thought Adam still might do it for particularly good performances (which I consider Davis' 2 homers and catch and Tillman's 8 2/3) so I was wondering if he just chose not to in those cases and I happened to notice or if it was some bigger decision to no longer do it. Sounds like the former--thanks for the info everyone.

Yep that's the way I see it.

I could be wrong, but I think all pitchers are off-limits (I don't believe Ad has ever pied a pitcher), and I also believe that Adam allows veterans to let him know if they are up for the pie or not.

Mike Wright got it earlier this year, and I remember Gonzo getting it last year after he came back up from the minors. He clear as day said "oh sh*t" on air right before he got hit with it.

In my opinion, coming off a division championship, the team kind of expects to win. It's in poor taste to celebrate wins when we are playing .500 baseball. As a result, it has for good reason been a down year for pies. We are starting to play better. Another big win or two I think you will start to see more pies.

Winning is to be celebrated - minus the veterans, we should be seeing the pies for every win. Winning is hard to do anywhere, much less in ML baseball. Pie away Jonesy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived