This stat sums up the Orioles perfectly

birdman333

Saw this on ESPN.com today and it really stands out.

ESPN Stats & Info ---

BAL is 18-38 (.321) vs teams currently with winning records, worst such mark in MLB

Really highlights how great a manager Buck is despite a few missteps.

This team just really isn't that good when all is said and done. Trying to get it done year after year without a true #1 starter, a weak rotation, poor farm system and failing to go after big money free agents.

Duquette deserves credit for piecing together a quality team over the years although it's impossible to deny his horrific results this offseason with many of the "key additions" he signed failing miserable and several not even being on the roster anymore.

Duquette stated that the clear goal for trade deadline acquisitions was an outfield bat (Parra) and more pitching. Parra has been as advertised but the Oriole added a grand total of ZERO pitching at the deadline and the rotation continues to struggle in addition to recent bullpen struggles. The Orioles kept Davis, Wieters and Chen instead of trading them to help rebuild the farm system which will turn out to be a costly decision unless the O's make and advance in the playoffs.

Buck needs to work his magic for this team to have any hope of putting together a late season surge to make the postseason. Can't rely on just beating bad teams all season especially in August and September...

It's a miracle then that we won the AL East last year.

Listen, rather than trashing Buck and DD, I take issue with the performance. We've had numerous guys take big steps back, most importantly starting pitching, Tillman and Norris. Gonzo has been awful since June. Gausman hasn't been as good as last year. Chen has been "ok". Ubaldo has been the only upside. Injuries to their replacements have prevented us from calling up replacements.

And that, basically, explains it all. Starting pitching.

Listen, rather than trashing Buck and DD, I take issue with the performance. We've had numerous guys take big steps back, most importantly starting pitching, Tillman and Norris. Gonzo has been awful since June. Gausman hasn't been as good as last year. Chen has been "ok". Ubaldo has been the only upside. Injuries to their replacements have prevented us from calling up replacements.

Ubaldo the only upside? Maybe two months ago, but he's back to how he was last year.

Lots of hitters regressed too, Pearce fell off, De Aza unproductive... Snider and the rest of the OF gang trying to platoon was poo.

This team was more than AL east champs last year, they defeated a top notch rotation in Detroit and for the most part, lost each game by an inch against the Royals grit. The OS were worthy of making the WS last year.

I do agree though that the regression in starting pitching will stand out looking back this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely think this has been the biggest issue this season. Of course in the last week, we have simply decided not to hit or score. Tough to win a lot of ballgames when you can't break the "3" ceiling.

I definitely think this has been the biggest issue this season. Of course in the last week, we have simply decided not to hit or score. Tough to win a lot of ballgames when you can't break the "3" ceiling.

I think the starting pitching has been the main issue, but our offense has been prone to long slumps even though the overall numbers are OK.

Wow that is a crazy stat.

The starting pitching has definitely been the weak link. Chen has been the only consistent pitcher. Tillman, Gonzo and Gausman have done worse than last year and we basically swapped last year Norris with this year Ubaldo, which again is a downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The teams remaining on our schedule have a collective .532 winning percentage. That's the 2nd toughest remaining schedule in MLB, so it's a real longshot that were going to go on any kind of a run. But I'll keep on hoping.

That along with our record against such teams, even at the trading deadline, should have weighed heavily into DD's thinking before trading our best young healthy starting pitching prospect.

That along with our record against such teams, even at the trading deadline, should have weighed heavily into DD's thinking before trading our best young healthy starting pitching prospect.

Yup. We should have seen what was out there for Chen, Davis, Wieters, and O'Day. Even if we didn't trade any of them, you still see what teams were willing to offer...

I was against that deal, but a week ago we held the wild card spot, so it's hard fir me to say that Duquette should have thrown in the towel even though he knew our schedule would get tough.

This stat shows why the O's need to either make a big splash this offseason to upgrade the SP, or go into rebuild mode. If the team is doing this poorly against quality competition before Davis, Wieters, Chen, and possibly O'Day walk, there's not much hope they will do any better next season.

I have been saying this fact for 2 months now, prior to the trade deadline, as a reason we should be sellers.

It's amazing how people NOW are starting to realize this.

We aren't a bad team, but we aren't a great one either. You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

I would have hoped DD knew more than us.

Archived