vs. RANGERS, 8/29

OFFNY

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Bartolo Colon with his physique can do it (and Colon DOES do it, every time without fail when he fields a ground ball and has a baserunner hung up in between bases), then any major league pitcher should be able to do it.

Once the pitcher makes his throw, then the other infielders should handle any and all ensuing throws.

:) Yeah! You get your pitchers out of it ASAP. Because they're pitchers, :P

It's just the ones who have that ability, that awareness, to go the right way on instinct. At the very start of the play.

I agree that they should exit the rundown AFTER their initial throw, but I don't agree that they should give the ball up immediately without running at the baserunner and making them commit if they are the ones that make the groundball stop, which Jimenez did. Throwing the ball that early (as Jimenez did), especially in that situation is potentially disastrous, because after Machado caught the ball, he had to negotiate not hitting DeShields in the back with his throw home.

If the pitcher (in that specific situation) runs at the baserunner and makes him commit, then the likelihood of an errant throw and/or a throw hitting the runner decreases greatly.

Well, that's just wrong. I've never coached it that way or seen it ran that way. It doesn't come up that much as a situation if you think about it, but pitchers aren't trained to throw on the run.

And where Machado received the ball isn't an issue, he simply took one step to his left and threw to the inside to Joseph.

Yes. Make that first throw, and then get the hell out of there.

Although, SOME PITCHERS just won't take no for an answer.

I just mentioned Colon ...... and in this particular instance, he wasn't going to make ANY throws to ANYBODY, period. :laughlol:

[video=youtube;BieApOduNHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BieApOduNHk

The fact that you use a clip of Colon isn't support for your point of view.

Archived