We Can't Afford This Team Next Year

Bahama O's Fan

Just consider that if we were to resign all of our FA's for market value: Davis' date=' Wieters, Chen, Parra, Oday and Pearce (are there any more?), we would be over our payroll this year. Gonna take some smart moves to IMPROVE this team next year.[/quote']

Why should we want to keep the same team that is barely .500?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

O'Day will get some variation of the Miller contract 3-4 years. The Orioles do not value relief pitching as their competitors.

Parra was a rental and the Orioles believe that most players in his stat category are interchangeable. Chen will go where the dollars take him, and why not. The Orioles will not overpay out of loyalty and he will not be underpaid out of loyalty.

Rebuilding started last year.

We need to change the makeup of how money is spent for next year. We are good at finding relievers on the cheap, plus we have Givens, Drake, and Wright as all young, cheap talents. Stop spending money on platoons. Don't pay for mediocrity. No more dead money. Trade Matusz or non tender him. Spend for top quality only.

O'Day will get some variation of the Miller contract 3-4 years. The Orioles do not value relief pitching as their competitors.
Which is a huge mistake. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Quality relief pitchers aren't replaceable machine parts. They do not grow on trees.

We need to change the makeup of how money is spent for next year. We are good at finding relievers on the cheap, plus we have Givens, Drake, and Wright as all young, cheap talents. Stop spending money on platoons. Don't pay for mediocrity. No more dead money. Trade Matusz or non tender him. Spend for top quality only.

That's the idea, only but to fill in a gap or two. But the Orioles will have gaps at 1b/RF,LF,DH,SP2, SP4. If Hardy doesn't rebound SS is problem in 2017.

You can't buy quality at 4 or 5 positions in 1 off season. But 1 elite every other year and 1 starter as needed each.

Archived